Saturday, August 27, 2011

Rest in Peace, Great Grandma Kennel

On Sunday, August 21, Great Grandma Kennel passed from this life to the next at 10:52 am. Her funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon, and it was one of the best funeral services I have ever attended. You could tell that the pastor of Maple Grove Mennonite church had spent time with her and knew her, which was impressive to me since he started in that position long after she was living at Garden Spot Village and no longer able to get to church.

She had wanted her funeral service to be based on Isaiah 40:31, "...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." This has always been a favorite verse, but I never thought of it in the context of death. Grandma was always full of life when we would see her - until recently you would have never realized she was 91 years old. Unfortunately, her body eventually wore out. But, as she hopes in Christ who promises us life after death, she will receive renewed strength and a body that won't wear out.

The pastor also spoke on how they would talk when they got together about what heaven might look like. Do you think the streets are really paved in gold, or is that just a figure of speech? Will there really be mansions in glory and if so, what would they look like? Will she and Grandpa recognize each other - and what struck Shawn was when he said she asked "how will I know my grandchildren when they come?"

The pastor talked about how Grandma Kennel didn't like change (do any of us?) and death was just another change. He also talked about her love for baseball, and I remembered she would ALWAYS talk to Shawn about baseball because I think she loved it as much as he does. As the preacher continued talking, it made me think about change and what's most important here on earth. Death doesn't escape any of us, so it's always good to reflect in these moments, are we doing what we were born to do? For example, that night I came home and hugged my kids with a little extra squeeze.

 The music was also good. Shawn's mom's cousin Mike King lead the hymns, and we sang "Trust & Obey," "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" and my personal favorite "When We All Get to Heaven." The minute I saw that it was on the program, I whispered to Shawn "I love this song!" His reply? "So did Grandma." I smiled and told him that I had only heard it for the first time in the company of his family at the reunion, I believe, so it didn't surprise me that she liked it. "When we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory (shout the victory!)"... Shawn's extended family has some beautiful voices.

I had prayed that the tears and fuss coming at the funeral would NOT be from baby Ryan, who we took along (the older boys were watched by Grandpa Georgia and our babysitter Miranda). God answered our prayers. Ryan was an angel and slept through the entire time of greeting people and the service. I had fed him right beforehand in the prayer and meditation room that was next door. What a great room! It was an answer to my prayers. There was a beautiful painting of what Jesus may have looked like and a Bible, a piano and space to pray (or feed a baby!). 

After I was done feeding Ryan, I took my place in the greeting line. I remember a sweet little old lady coming through the line whose face shined bright like an angel. She said, "I'm happy for your Grandma. While you'll miss her, she is in a better place" and just like that walked away. I told Shawn that I hope I'm that sweet when I'm that age.
We also saw another relative who's as silver as some of my 'fake' jewelry and smells just like pewter. From what I understand, she takes zinc and it makes her skin more gray than the dead. I've never seen anything like it. (Well, I remember seeing her at Grandpa's funeral but before her, I've never known anyone to have skin that color.) She literally looks like a tin man. If I had had my camera, I might have been tempted to get her picture - it's that bizarre! But, I realize that would have been completely inappropriate. Anyway, she seemed nice enough.

After the service (and may I stop and say there is nothing more sad for a wife than seeing her very strong husband sad), I fed Ryan again as the burial took place at Maple Grove. Then the immediate families went to Dutch Way for dinner, which was a nice time amidst a sad circumstance. After our bellies were filled to the brim, we came home utterly exhausted but with a renewed sense of the shortness of our time on earth. Shawn looked extra handsome in his suit, but I never got a picture (nor did I get one of adorable little Ryan all dressed up). Such is life! We gave our boys love and tucked them in; then we both passed out early. But, Ryan was up all night, needing the calories he missed throughout the day, I'm sure. And while I was so tired, I reminded myself of how amazingly well he did throughout the day - it was worth losing sleep over!


Rest in peace, Grandma Kennel. You will be remembered and missed. Below is her obituary. It struck me that we have three out of the nine great grandchildren mentioned!

OBITUARY:
Anna Mae "Ann" Kennel

Anna Mae "Ann" Kennel, age 91 formerly of Gap passed away at the Garden Spot Village of New Holland on Sunday, August 21, 2011. She was the wife of the late Earl J. Kennel who passed away on December 4, 2007. Born in Martinsburg, PA, daughter of the late Ray & Nora Metzler Honsaker. She was a member of Maple Grove Mennonite Church of Atglen and an associate member of the Garden Spot Village Chapel. She enjoyed gardening, sewing, reading and was an avid baseball fan.

She is survived by two daughters: Kathy K. Fox of Lebanon and Carol A. wife of Doug Ginder of Port Charlotte, FL, 6 grandchildren, 9 great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by 8 siblings.

Funeral service will take place in the Garden Spot Village Chapel, 433 South Kinzer Road, New Holland, PA on Wednesday, August 24th at 3 p.m. with a viewing from 2 p.m. until time of service. Interment will be in the Maple Grove Mennonite Cemetery. Pastors Chet Yoder and Stephen Crane will be officiating. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the Garden Spot Village Benevolence Fund, 433 S. Kinzer Road, New Holland, PA 17557. Arrangements by the Shivery Funeral Home, Christiana & Paradise.

No comments: