Monday, August 29, 2011

Hopscotch

Friday was another beautiful summer-turning-fall day. Since I knew school was starting back on Monday, I decided to take the boys to the playground to have some fun one last time during the day.
Not long after we got there, Joshua said to me "Let's go home. That's my favorite place in this whole world." I smiled. Home is where the heart is. I'm so glad he loves his home, and I'm thankful that we have a house to live in that the boys can grow up in together. I also love home! It was a comment that made my heart leap.
Soon enough, though, he saw the hopscotch boxes, and I told him how to do it. He was excited to learn something new! And it's great for the boys' coordination with hopping on one foot. They took turns doing the hopscotch and telling each other how great a job they did while I snapped pictures and took some video.
Joshua was great at it. Caleb wasn't quite as good. This is one area that I noticed the age difference between them. Most times when we're walking together, folks ask me if I have twins. And I'd say that we treat them as twins many times - we have all the benefits of them being close without the agony of having them as babies together. This is a great stage and age!
Ryan slept in the stroller in the meantime. He enjoyed the outdoor time for a little while and then snoozed. I realize he's about at the age that I need to work with him to get him into more of a routine with a morning and afternoon nap rather than dozing off here or there.
I love his little chubby arms and legs and face! He is so soft! And so sweet! I love to cuddle with him and listen to him coo. This is also a great stage!
When we got home, the boys got a drink, went potty and cooled off while I fed the baby, too. Then we went back outside for some more fun. In the picture below, Joshua is giving Caleb a little push where he got stuck going up the hill. He's such a GREAT big brother! He loves to talk and smile at Ryan, and he also plays well with Caleb. Caleb is also a helper. We have been blessed with some really neat kids that all get along. I love each one!
After Caleb was done with his bike, he told me he was going to take off his helmet. I was surprised that he was able to get it on and off by himself! He is certainly growing! And he's getting better and better at his bike, too.
Then the boys were off racing in their cars. I realize that Joshua is soon going to outgrow his car. I am not looking forward to that day because I have such sweet memories of them cruising around our driveway in them! For some reason, everything has turned into a race between these boys lately. They race to finish eating, they race to see who's fastest going up the stairs, etc. Sometimes it's nice (they race to see who cleans up the fastest) and other times it's not (especially when the "loser's" feelings get hurt). Shawn & I are trying to teach them that we cheer each other on. It's great when our brother wins, too!
Speaking of car rides, my extended family came home from the beach early due to evacuations from Hurricane Irene coming. I was concerned for them and glad to hear that they made it home safely. Shawn's extended family was heading home the following day, and they drove inland to miss the storm. We were also glad to hear of their safety in travels.

No comments: