Monday, August 29, 2011

His Father's Eyes

On Thursday, August 25, I took Ryan to see an ophthalmologist. At his one- and two-month well-child check-ups, he didn't track the light for the pediatricians, meaning that when they turned off all the lights in the room and turned on a flashlight, he didn't follow it with his eyes when they moved it. There are many times that I wonder if he's really seeing us. For example, you'll notice in all my pictures of him, he does not look at me or the camera or the light that is coming from my camera. And while I still have concerns, Dr. Silbert said that he thinks everything looks normal at this point, but that it's very hard to tell with a child at this age.

I must say that while this is very good news, I wasn't all that impressed with this visit at the Family Eye Group or Family Eye Associates (can't remember which one it is). First, I chuckled when I got there. Building 2110 at the Health Campus has an entry way that is completely covered - you have to almost see building 2112 next door and the arrow that points to where the entrance is for the building next to it. I laughed at the well-hidden entry for people who struggled with vision to begin with! I took Ryan in and we waited for a few minutes in the waiting room before being called back. The gal that dilated his eyes seemed nice enough but said she couldn't determine anything on a baby this small (I guess she was the first check). She informed me that we would have to wait half an hour for his eyes to dilate but she would check to see if it was working in 15 minutes. We were asked to wait right outside the room in a busy hallway.

At the 15-minute mark another woman came out and checked. She said his eyes were dilated but that they would want to wait the extra 15 minutes just to be sure. At this point, I asked where there would be a bathroom with a changing station because I knew he had just gone. I walked there (which was a bit of a walk), changed him and came back. After I got back, I hit the button my itzbeen for diaper changing. Another half an hour went by from the time we returned from the restroom. At this point, I asked how much longer because it was time for Ryan to be fed again. "Not too much longer," I was told.

I was deliberating on what to do - the waiting area was now crowded so I wasn't sure feeding him there would be appropriate, even with my hider along. Eventually we were taken into the room where the doctor would see him. And we waited there another half an hour, but with the door open to the waiting room! I wasn't sure if I could close it and how long it would be until the actual ophthalmologist would come. Why get the baby started only to rip him away and frustrate him more? There was also a family there that kept talking to me from outside the door, which was also driving me crazy because I felt like it would be rude then to close the door and feed my now hungry little guy. The mom told me that the girl who was chatting away at me had been hit by a car while she was walking to school two years prior and had severe brain damage. How sad!

When the doctor finally did come in, baby Ryan was all but eating his arm off and would not cooperate with him. I politely but firmly stated that you can't keep an infant with a feeding schedule waiting for over two hours. He's not going to cooperate if he's hungry, and that's normal. The doctor agreed. But I'm sure he could have cared less. He looked almost exactly like the actor who plays "House" on television, only with grayer hair. He spun little Ryan around in his chair and said that he thought the baby was trying to focus on him. He also said he thinks the baby's tear duct that had been closed is now open. Then he tried to see inside the baby's eye, but Ryan would not keep them open for him and was sucking away on his pacifier. So, the doctor said he thinks everything looks normal but to come back around age 3 or sooner if we notice any other issues. He deemed the lack of tracking a "developmental delay" and we were free to go.

While we were being evaluated, we heard another mom outside the door threatening to beat the snot out of her crying child. But, she didn't say 'snot.' I doubt she realized we could hear her, but the doctor looked appalled. I felt bad for the kid. We've all had our days as moms, I'm sure, but I still felt bad for the little guy. I came home and gave all my kids big hugs.

Grandpa Georgia had a funny story for me when I got home. He said he had accused Joshua of getting into something upstairs when the Bean went to the bathroom and washed his hands with my scented soap. Dad simply smelled the scent and thought maybe Joshua had gotten into lotion of mine or something he shouldn't have. So, he questioned Joshua, who told him that he hadn't touched anything he wasn't supposed to (and typically he's really good about not getting into things). Dad said, "Joshua, please don't lie to Grandpa." Joshua was indignant and responded "You don't have to lie unless you've done something wrong, Grandpa!" Haaaa!!! At that point, Dad knew that the Bean hadn't done anything he wasn't supposed to. I guess we'll have to work on not lying in general. My boy cracks me up!

Later that evening we met Mamaw & Papaw Ginder, Aunt Erica, Aunt Missy & Uncle Kevin for dinner at the Lititz Family Cupboard. While the service was terrible, the food was good and the company was nice. They gave the boys each a pumpkin pez dispenser that glows in the dark, and they had a little bib and hat for Ryan that said "My First Halloween." Caleb asked where "his friend Mamaw" had went when we were leaving. The way he said it was so cute. And every time he would open his pez dispenser, he would say "WOW!" and seemed highly impressed that candy kept coming out of it. They LOVE their little gifts. (Thanks so much!). Joshua also loves Papaw's iPod and playing all the games on it. He said he wants one some day.

So, as I wrap up this post, I'm going to believe that Ryan's eyes are fine and that he will continue to improve his vision. He does focus on us at times, but the last couple days have not been good for that either. But, I'm praying for his sight and believing that he will have 20/20 vision or better!

No comments: