Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Class Felt Like... (hmmm, what rhymes with class?)

Last Tuesday (Aug 16) was my first class at etown. According to my directions, it should take roughly 38 minutes to get from our house to this campus in York. But, with all the construction, a broke-down tractor trailer on route 30 that forced the already bottle-necked traffic to merge into one lane, and an accident on 83 that shut down yet another lane, it took me well over an hour and a half to get to class. Instead of being over half an hour early, I ended up being 20 minutes late. Nothing like walking in late to make a good first impression! It stank. But, I kept reminding myself that at least I wasn't the one in the accident - my car and body are still in tact.

My mentor had suggested ordering pizza for class the first night. I was glad that I did (and even more glad that I ordered it to arrive later than the start since the delivery gal came almost immediately after me!). It helped make up for the fact that I was late. Meanwhile, I had no idea where anything was or how to use the equipment, but with a class of only five students, the pizza worked well as we met one another and class started.
Class runs from 6-10 pm. Unlike Millersville, if we are finished covering topics, I am not permitted to allow these students to leave even a minute early. And let me tell you that four hours is a LONG time to discuss anything with anyone - I don't care if it was your wedding plans with your best friend, four hours is simply LONG! I was bored. I tried to make class interesting, but it was a long night. I tried not to think about my kids, especially little Ryan. I had to pump half way through the night, giving the students a longer break in the middle. My minivan was 85 degrees inside and I couldn't open the windows because I needed their tinting to cover me. It was awful. I kept reminding myself how much I love my baby!
Finally, the clock crept to 10 pm. As I was driving home, I hit the cattle shoots (is that what they're called) where the lane narrows and there are two cement walls on either side of you on the highway. Tractor trailers were redirected as the lanes were smaller, and I went through with my knuckles white on my steering wheel. I was exhausted from a long class, no sleep the night before, etc. This was a lousy way to end a rough first day. All around, I was NOT impressed with my experience. Thankfully the material that we're covering IS relatively interesting. It's just not interesting for four hours (again, maybe that's just me!). I came home and told my hubby all about it. It was good to hear his perspective. Ryan did fine taking the bottle (he was just starving because he's obviously eating way more than the 4 oz. that is normal for his age - I got over 5 pumping and they say your body doesn't respond nearly as well to a pump as it does to your baby). He had scratched his own face in an attempt to eat his hand/arm since he was ravenous. But, Shawn faithfully walked him around to keep him happy. And the baby ate well for me the second I got home, which was also a relief to me.

With that said, we talked about how many hours I typically put into preparing for classes. Even with all the hard work, I'm still making more than an average part-time job, doing something that is far more rewarding than waiting tables. And we could use the money. So, even with the long drive and gas prices factored in, it's still not a bad gig - not as good as Millersville but not as bad as flipping burgers. If I would be asked to teach the same course, it becomes even nicer as the prep time is already finished (which they haven't asked yet, but you never know what the future holds). And, hopefully tonight there won't be all that road construction. The material for the second week is also "beefier" so there should be more to discuss. And my students all seemed nice enough and had read the material (at least for the first class!).
I am SO thankful to be at home with my babies during the day on most days. I am glad that Shawn agrees that this is important. And I'm thankful to have some steady income from part-time work. So, I truly shouldn't complain. Here's to hoping that class goes better, traffic is less burdensome, and the boys do well again for Daddy for the rest of the semester. At least after tonight there are only three weeks to go! Then my next class is in Lancaster...

No comments: