Monday, August 22, 2011

Fun That Is Funny When the Sun's Being Sunny!

On Monday, August 15, we met our friends from Study & Share at Calvary's playground. Once again the only two from the group who could come that morning were Tara (pictured center) and Rebecca (pictured left). Our kids are all approximately the same ages, so it works out to be a really fun time of us catching up and the children playing together on the equipment in this beautiful fenced-in playground.

Tara is expecting their third child (a boy) any day now. She asked to hold Ryan. Then to my surprise she went to let her son hold Ryan, and I said that she MUST hold onto him as well. She told Luke (her little guy) that he'll be able to hold their baby. I'm not keen on anyone under the age of 20 holding our son. Why put him at risk? I don't think she was too offended. Luke is the same age as our Caleb Luke, and their daughter is a few months older than Joshua.
While we were there, I tried to snap a photo of all the kids together when they came over to eat snacks. I took goldfish and the other moms brought cookies to share. Here's the group, minus Ryan who was back with me.
Rebecca's little guy kept getting chased by the older ones. I wasn't sure how it started, and my sons love to chase and be chased, but I noticed that he was the ONLY one being chased. I think her oldest often picks on his little brother, but eventually it didn't look all that nice to me. I took my boys aside and told them that they needed to find a different game to play to give him a break. Joshua said that they were enjoying chase, but I explained that he needs to stand up for the little ones and get his friends to follow him rather than following the crowd. I wasn't sure he understood at that moment, but it gave me an opportunity to talk to him about being a leader (and Caleb, too!). I am SO thankful that my boys are not aggressive or mean. They immediately obeyed and stayed out of trouble, and I know they weren't intentionally trying to intimidate the smallest child. But, I was glad when they started doing other things, including using their imagination to pretend all sorts of adventures.
We had a great morning out all in all. I heard about a truck that backed into the lake at Blue Marsh, and we talked about babies and delivery, and the upcoming Bible study and all sorts of mom things. It was great, and the boys had a blast playing outside with friends. Even Ryan enjoyed his time in the sunshine, I think. I am so blessed to have made these wonderful friends this year.

No comments: