Thursday, May 17, 2007

Poor Mommy, Poor Bean

Last night supper was disappointing. I made chicken parmesan, but the chicken must have been thicker than what the recipe called for because it kept being pink when I checked, and meanwhile the pasta, vegetables and sauce were already ready to be eaten since I was assuming the chicken would be cooked by the time the recipe said it should be. Sigh. You win some, you lose some with cooking (or at least I do). The other night I made a 'homestyle bake' with cheesy ham & hashbrowns or something. Anyway, that was so disgusting, we threw it in the trash and got take-out for supper. I followed the directions exactly, so I don't know what went wrong or if we don't particularly care for that type of 'homestyle bake,' which are typically pretty good and very easy to make. Oh well.

Joshua was happy with his dinner - he ate rice cereal and squash with Grandma, who watched him for a few minutes so I could go to the grocery store down the street from her to get the rest of the ingredients I needed for my not-so-wonderful meal. Jamie was supposed to start radiation yesterday, but the electricity went out at the health campus, so now things won't start until Monday.

The Bean has been throwing up consistently these days. I'm not talking just a little tiny bit of spit up, either. I asked the physical therapist her take on it since it's typically when he's working hard - when we have him reaching for toys on his belly (to encourage crawling) or sitting up straight to play for longer periods of time. He doesn't seem bothered by it, but I feel like it's awful not to mention wearing vomit just about everyday is absolutely no fun. She said her son did not do this (he's 18 months old now and was slightly behind on his mobility), so she wasn't sure... I don't know if it's because he's breathing harder and doesn't have the lung capacity so he pumps air into his belly, which comes up with food he's eaten. We don't have him play hard for at least half an hour to an hour after he's eaten, but he's eating more these days, so? I scaled back on his food intake (eliminating the breakfast we had just started) but even giving him a bottle these days takes forever. The PT did say that he is showing all the signs of teething again, which includes lots of drool that's going into his belly, so that could be the culprit, too. I think I'm going to call the pediatrician. He doesn't have another well-baby exam until next month, and I just want to make sure everything's a-okay. He's very happy and doesn't seem affected by it, so I've waited to see if it would pass. But, so far it hasn't.

No comments: