Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

Happy Memorial Day! This past Friday we left for Grandma & Grandpa Ginder's house. I remember when it used to be their one-bedroom cabin and then them building on to make it a beautiful home. Now, it's sold and they are furiously packing to move to Florida. In fact, this weekend was their big moving sale. We bought a few things, including a baby gate for the Bean and Erica's bike for me.
Meanwhile this was Joshua's first trip up to the mountains. He was super! He slept well in their pack 'n play, was well-behaved and seemed to really enjoy himself up there. He loved Beau, their collie, and Aunt Erica and Grandma & Grandpa, of course. They also have some cool toys! Shawn and I were even able to nap while Joshua played with his aunt and grandparents. I was highly impressed (and relieved) with how well Joshua did going away. He cried in the car, though, but other than that, he was an angel. He also got a new tooth this weekend!
This was us on Memorial Day before we left to come home. Over the weekend, we played croquet (Shawn & I beat Aunt Erica & Grandpa Ginder three out of three games...although I take no credit since Shawn is good at every game and every sport) and chicken foot, which I won the first half. We never got to play the second half, but I'll allow them to challenge me to a rematch the next time we see them. :) I just love the bragging rights. We also played a fun game on the way home from the restaurant that they play in the car; they go through the XM radio stations and try to guess the title of the song and the artist. Shawn & I played that on the way home, too.
Here is Joshua with his grandparents. I think they dressed purposefully to match his outfit, or perhaps to show their patriotic side for Memorial Day. They bought him a "Barnyard Friends" toy that has a rooster, pig, cow and duck in that are labeled and make their individual noises. He absolutely loves them! That duck has been quacking all day today. :) Joshua loves his Aunt Erica. She bought him the cutest froggy rain slicker and matching boots! I didn't have the camera, but I'll take a picture the next time it rains. She also baked me a cake for my birthday and had lovely presents for me, including a wonderful wallet with Joshua pictures in it and boxes to file my photos, not to mention the froggy paper. I loved each thing - thanks, Nanny Jo! We'll miss you while you're getting more and more tan in Florida!
Here is Joshua in a bin of plush toys for sale. Who will give us the highest bid for him? Just kidding! I wouldn't give him up for all the money in the world.Here's the Bean and Grandpa...two peas in a pod. Grandpa even showed him how to sit on a Harley and look impressive.

When Joshua was born, Grandma & Grandpa Ginder planted a beautiful white lilac tree in his honor that will grow as he grows. It's starting to spring up, just like the Bean! Here's a picture of the "Joshua tree" with him and Grandma Ginder.We had an excellent weekend and really enjoyed the trip. We're sad to see them go to Florida, but excited for the journey ahead of them.
Last night we visited with Mom & Jamie for a little bit, and today Joshua and I ate with Aunt Jen, Grace, Faith & Emma. Tonight I had worship practice, and Rev. Judith, a prayer warrior, was there and read a verse from Psalms - I think it was Psalms 91 - and talked about God keeping us close and protecting us like we were in His womb. Shawn & I were just talking last night again about how we wish police would catch whoever did those murders in Manheim Township near our house and how we had double checked to make sure our doors were locked. I felt tonight like God was asking me if I'd protect Joshua if I had to. I said, OF COURSE!!! And then He reminded me that I am His child and He would do the same for me. I didn't have to worry or be scared - just like I'd do anything to keep the Bean safe, He is protecting me...and He has lots more power and resources!

2 comments:

Julie Garner said...

Great to hear about your weekend! You look fabulous, by the way!!! And I can't believe how big Joshua is.

The tree planting made me say, "Awe!" That is precious.

Jude was on a motorcycle the other night with his cousin (not riding on it, but they were sitting together checking it out) I had to give him a lecture on how I don't ever want him to actually ride on one of those! Ha ha!

Love ya, girlie!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Val, those pictures are SOOOO cute! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend! What fun!

PS I'll give you 10 cents for the kid in the tupperware!!