Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Amazing Bean, Amazing Day

Yesterday's physical therapy appointment went really well. Laura, the gal from Schreiber, said she saw big signs of improvement from two weeks ago. Joshua is propping himself up on his forearms, rolling both ways, is reaching out to rake in toys while balancing on the other arm, and even sat up on his own completely unassisted for over 30 seconds. He also loves his toes, too. Hooray for making progress, buddy!

This morning, I kept hearing the sound of engines out my window as I was working (Joshua was napping at the time but quickly woke up due to the noise). I looked out and saw what seemed like hundreds of children out my front window, fire trucks and about a dozen parents, along with a traffic jam on our little street. After changing Joshua's diaper, I slipped on flip-flops (they're even tight with how swollen my foot still is) and took him outside to ask the two neighbors I actually know what was going on. While I didn't want to add to the chaos, I figured that if a house close to mine was on fire, Bean & I should plan on getting away quickly. Instead, I was told that for the umpteenth time, there was a smell of gas at the elementary school (which is right behind our house). Parents were trying to drop off their little ones and couldn't (thus the traffic jam) and others had already dropped off their kids, who were currently running around everywhere with minimal supervision. One neighbor I recognize but don't know said this was not a good situation because it would be an easy way to lose a child. After Joshua finished smiling at everyone and hearing compliments about how wonderful he is, we went back inside even though it is the most gorgeous day I think I've ever seen. We both ate breakfast and let things calm down outside.

I was singing to Joshua this morning, and he loved it. I paused in the middle of a measure to see what he would do...he started to sing! Not on key and not with words, but he looked at me as if to say, "keep going, momma!" He loves to grab lips and noses, so I was telling him what each thing was on your face, and he looked like he was studying so intently. I remember that look from Jordon when he was learning something new. Then, when he was on the changing table (which he LOVES to roll to his belly in the middle of changing now), he was looking at the wallpaper. I pointed to the frog and said 'frog' and to the birds and said 'birdie' and then to the turtle and said 'turtle' and at that moment he started saying 'twl twl twl' and then I pointed back to the frog and said 'froggies go ribbit ribbit' and he said 'raba raba raba'. While I know he's too young to be really talking yet, his babble often sounds like real words to me. He's soooo cute when he's babbling, too. I LOVE it! He looks like he's telling you one of the greatest stories ever told.

We found the digital camera, so I called Linda the church secretary to tell her we found it, and she went on and on about how she thinks children can see their angels and how Joshua showed the peace and glory of God during his dedication. She said she turned around to Lauren, one of our church's intercessors, when he squeeled with joy and said, 'you know what that's all about - he received that blessing!' She wasn't the first person to tell us that's what she saw. We are so blessed by our little Bean, even when he tries our patience...

Last night, poor Shawn was thrown up on three times (Joshua managed to get our sheets, too) and then went to change his diaper after Joshua's infamous grunting and got peed on. Poor guy! I don't think Daddy was having a good day to begin with, so this was kind of an unfortunate bummer. However, Joshua slept through the night, so hopefully today was better for Shawn. Joshua slept a good bit today, too. It's so peaceful with all the windows & fresh breeze blowing...I'm hoping that's why and that he's not getting sick. I also think he's teething again and look for those top two chompers to come in any day now.

Tonight I'm making pork tenderloins for dinner and have to go start them soon to be ready for when Shawn gets home...

No comments: