Monday, August 25, 2008

Making Choices

On Sunday we tried a new church. We feel like we need more interaction with other young families, but we haven't made any permanent decisions about switching yet. We dropped Joshua off at the two-year-old classroom, and at first he cried and didn't want us to leave. But, when we checked later, he looked like he was having fun. The church walks them around to different stations, and the gal told us (when we picked him up) that she couldn't remember if we were potty training or not, so she sat him on the potty before changing his diaper at the end of the service, which I thought was very nice. There, he learned two Bible verses and the sign language to them (simple things, but how powerful!) and he made his first ever crafts to bring home - a popsicle stick man and a coloring page.
The sermon was good, but we sat in a room outside the sanctuary since you can't take kiddos in and I wasn't comfortable leaving Caleb quite yet. The room was pretty full of other parents with their kiddos, too. The church also has a MOPS group (mothers of pre-schoolers), which meets the same time we'd be sending Joshua to pre-school. So, I began wondering if this was a sign that maybe pre-school wasn't for this year. I haven't had a complete peace about it either way. I keep going back and forth. I do think he needs time playing with other children, but what if he gets bullied or gets too sick and I have a baby to also care for? What if I can't protect him or he hates it? What if he's not ready? What if I'm not ready?
So, I'm still praying about whether to send him to pre-school or join a mom's group where I can meet other people and he still has time to play with other kiddos. I have to decide by tomorrow, and I haven't really felt strongly either way. Please pray for wisdom, if you think of it! I love this little guy so much and want to do what's best for him (and Caleb!).
When we were playing in the office this morning, Joshua picked up his sticker from his church experience. I was amazed at what it said and took a close-up picture of it...
Jesus, please help me make the right choice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Val!
I joined MOMS Club of Mount Joy. There are MOMS Clubs all over the place, so there's probably one close to you. I think there's a list on the MOMS Club International website. It's a great way to connect with other mothers while your kids interact with other kids. The Mount Joy chapter has tons of fun activities every month.
Kristen