Sunday, August 3, 2008

Caleb's First Outing

I love this picture of Caleb with his big blue eyes and expressive face. Today was his first real outing as we went to church for the first half of the service (I'm not quite sure where to feed Caleb since people are in and out of our nursery...and since he needed to eat at 11:00 am we left just before then.) Technically, we're not supposed to take him out until he's six weeks old, but we went just before the service started and left early and I wore him in the snuggli the whole time so people couldn't get in his face without being all up in my grill.
I can't believe how strong Caleb is! On Friday I gave him belly time on his birdie mat as the Bean was sleeping and I was cleaning up toys. All the sudden I realized his head was off the mat - his little legs were propelling him forward! Joshua didn't do that until after he was sitting up and eating solid foods! And Caleb lifts his head fiercely but still can't control it on his own - we have to be really careful with him. He can kick out of swaddling and is still giving his arms and hands sucking blisters even after eating all the time and taking a pacifier occasionally. He looks so skinny to me and yellow still, but the pediatrician's office assured me that as long as he's having wet and soiled diapers, we're on target. Okay!

This picture is only four days older than the others, but I think he changes every day! Caleb is also a Momma's boy so far. Joshua was that way until after he came home from the NICU, too, so it will be interesting to see when he starts favoring Daddy like the Bean. Lastly, Caleb is starting to smile a little, we think. We catch him every once in awhile, and he did it for my mom on Saturday, too, when she visisted us after being on vacation for a week. Joshua was really missing her and kept saying "ma-maw!" when we got in the car because we often head to her house. He was so excited when she came in the door!!! Anyway, Caleb's smiles are random and not on cue, but I think he's starting already, if that's possible. What an amazing little baby we have! If we could only get him to sleep by himself at night in between feedings...

3 comments:

Julie Garner said...

I think Caleb is adorable! I can't wait to spend time with you guys. The sickness in our house has gotten worse, not better. :(

Donna said...

Val,
Ok it's official, I am the world worst friend! I know this is terribly late but...... Congratulations! He is absolutely adorable. I love seeing pictures of both the boys and reading the updates. If you ever get a few minutes {yeah right :)}, give me a call. I would love to catch up. MISS YOU!!!

Donna

Jessica said...

He is so big already! I agree with you and really like that picture of him-he does look so alert! It is amazing how much tehy change in such a short amount of time. I can't wait to meet him. thanks again for helping me wiith my site!