Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Date with Dadda

On Friday, Grandma had the afternoon off since she had worked the Saturday before. So, she came over and even though it was pouring outside, we took the boys out to lunch at Friendly's. It was a great start to the weekend! She said she thought Caleb doubled in size since she last saw him. Since I see him everday, I hadn't really thought about it. However, I noticed on Wednesday that his 0-3 month outfit didn't fit well, so on Thursday I dressed him in 3-6 month clothing which fit perfectly. So, I guess we do have a "big" little guy!
Unfortunately, I tried to make ham & scalloped potatoes for dinner, and I obviously did something wrong. So, we threw the whole thing out. I've been cooking a lot more lately, and we often have scrumptious things that turn out well. But, we also often have things that we both say "NEVER AGAIN!!!" It's a bummer, too, when you try so hard and it doesn't turn out. I actually cried...which I know is stupid. Shawn didn't care - I was just frustrated to spend the time and money and still have to figure something out to eat. Such is life!
This morning, we called Grandma Kennel to see if she was up for some company, which she declined. I was glad she let us know she was feeling too weak. Then tonight, we tried the new church again since they have a Saturday evening service. Shawn is in charge of the A/V team tomorrow, and I have a hard time fanagling both boys on the stairs, so I won't go. Thus, we went to church as a family tonight, and once again Joshua did really well in their 2-year-old preschool class, where he did another craft and had another Bible verse related to making good choices. Caleb also went to the nursery this time so we could sit in the auditorium to listen to the service. The only reason we went back was because of how well Joshua did last week, but we've also been very impressed by the message both times. They were doing a sermon series on "Mythbusters" and this one was talking about God's unfailing love to generations vs. generational curses being passed down. We both got a lot out of it!
Grandma agreed to watch Joshua afterward so we could go out to dinner with the gift card Shawn had gotten for his birthday. When we took Joshua, Grandma told us to leave Caleb, too, so we got to go out just the two of us to a restaurant. It was the first time in a long time, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We talked about the sermon and what we got out of it as well as other things going on in our lives. It was a great time - thanks Mom!
I also signed up for a Bible study at the church. They're starting a Beth Moore series on Thursday mornings, with childcare provided. I also plan on going to a moms Bible study/fellowship group on Tuesday mornings at another church, so I'm glad we decided not to do preschool. Joshua will get some time with other children still and I'll get some time with other moms and Jesus! Woo hoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I'm so happy you found a Bible study with childcare. And that you and Shawn had a date. That's great. I totally understand about crying over dinner. As silly as it is, I definitely have done that! I'll call you soon. Miss you!
Love, Suz