Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy 23-Month Birthday, Joshua!

I can't believe this is the last month my little boy will be only one! I'm celebrating each day of his life - what a life he's had so far! I praise God for him everyday, good or bad.Joshua started off his day with his typical "I will help Daddy get ready" routine as I fed Caleb. When he came into our room, he announced "Good morning!" I love hearing that cheerful little voice. Then we began our morning in the office/play room after breakfast.He fell asleep for an early nap today, but he seemed super tired so I didn't try to keep him awake until the afternoon. Yesterday he took a spill and bumped his head on a mini-cement wall. You can see the mark on the right half of his forehead (toward the left of the picture), but it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it might. After a few minutes, he didn't even notice. With boys, I know we'll have more boo-boos (a word that he now says)! After lunch (which he didn't try a bite of), we headed outside to play in the garage. He sat down in his chair with his baby as I was putting Caleb in the baby swing. He looks so serious and so gentle in the picture below...I love it. He is such a sweet boy! I love how he's tucked his baby in to snuggle. What a good big brother he is...and some day a good father just like his daddy!His smiles are my favorite, though. They light up his entire face. (And ours, of course!)
He started a new game where he would make a funny face and after I would mimick it, he would laugh. He could play this for a long time... it's adorable.Then we moved onto driving his car. He loves to say "beep beep, honk honk" as he blows the horn (that barely sounds a noise). He can really move in that car now, though. I remember when he didn't even know how to get in it let alone control it. It amazes me that he only started walking in 2008, and now he's saying more and more and learning more and more and motoring all over. We are blessed!I think he looks like his Daddy in this picture below. Notice how he's leaning his arm on the side of the car and is looking more laid back, driving with one hand. This one below would be more like me. Doesn't it look like he's shouting "what of it?" with his arms out and face out the front. I giggled and giggled at this picture. He was actually excited because his little friend Evan (a young boy about 7 years old who lives two houses down from us) stopped over before heading to our next door neighbor's pool. He always says "Joshua! Joshua! High five!" and plays with him for a little bit when he's passing by and sees us outside. Joshua loves Evan, and Evan seems to truly enjoy being around Joshua, too.Next we moved onto the bike. I think Joshua has had a recent growth spurt again because his feet now hit the pedals. I think it's time for Daddy to get a bike so we can all go out some evening.We've pretty much made our decision on preschool, so long as there's still a spot left in the one we decided upon. While we liked the one program and curriculum better than the other, one was less than half the price of the other. And for two days a week, two hours each day, that money was a BIG difference. Since both are close and they're very similar, we're going to try the one and see how he does. Our goal is to get him acclimated to other children and be in a different environment than our house with me. It makes me sad thinking about being apart for him, but it's only a little bit and I think it will be good for him. Now we have to decide on what we're doing for his birthday party since he'll turn the big 2 just one month from today!Joshua now tells us when he has to go poo-poo or has just gone, but he doesn't do well naked on his potty so far. We'll keep trying, though. Right now life seems hectic with a new little one, and potty training is something I want to devote a lot of attention to once we really get started. But, I think he's showing us he's ready. He uses silverware some for food, but it still frustrates him when he can't get it on the utensil. We praise him when it goes well, and then he wants to use it more. The problem is that he rarely eats much, so it's more difficult to teach than I thought it would be.Joshua amazes me with something new everyday almost. He's making new connections, saying new words, doing more things himself, comprehending more...it's incredible to watch him grow! He's also so good with his brother and so loving. He's a neat kiddo! In the picture below, he and I were playing basketball outside and then he went to toss it in the garage to Caleb. He didn't throw it when I said "Oh, no, Caleb can't play ball yet. Some day!"I love his little face below. He's hot and soon asked for a drink and to go inside (still calling it outside). He has adorable little lips, big red cheeks, long eye lashes covering his adorable blue eyes...I think he's so cute (although as a momma, I'm biased, I know!)I love my little boy so much. I remember how much of an adjustment it was having a baby, from quitting working full time to not sleeping through the night for the first time (that I remember!) to not being able to go out and do things like we used to. All the sacrifice is so worth the rewards of such an amazing kiddo. Happy 23 month birthday!

No comments: