Thursday, August 21, 2008

Airplane!

Yesterday I took Joshua & Caleb over to my sister's house, where we met up with Aunt Jen, Grace, Faith, Emma & Daniel. Our whole clan walked to the park where the kids played. Unfortunately, Joshua fell and skinned his knee upon entering the park and wasn't too thrilled at the wood chips getting into his Crocs. He kept coming to me saying, "Momma, toes???" and I kept cleaning out his shoes. Eventually, we went back to Aunt Jen's house where I bought pizza for everyone (she bought last time) and we enjoyed a nice lunch. Joshua loves playing in her backyard, too. I'm amused how much he's saying "Momma" and "Mommy" these days. He's never been real clingy with me, and always seem to favor his "Dada" which I don't mind. But the last week, he's been coming up and giving me hugs and kisses and asking for me when I'm not in the room or next to his side. It melts my heart.This morning started off another busy day as I got the two boys dressed in their cute outfits and we went to get their pictures taken together by professionals. I didn't have any real good ones of the two of them together, and these turned out great. I can't wait to get them!From there we went to Grandma's work and picked her up for lunch. We had packed peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, bananas, animal crackers, granola bars and drinks, along with a blanket, and headed to the Smoketown Airport. There we spread out our picnic lunch and waited for an airplane to leave or arrive. Our time there started off being pretty uneventful. Joshua heard a "woof woof" keep barking from the Smoketown Vet (poor puppy!), we saw three horse 'n buggies from Abe's Buggy Rides (Joshua delightedly yelled out "horsey!") and we saw the Amtrack train go by twice (Joshua of course pointed and said "Choo choo!") We also saw the fire trucks at the repair shop nearby. But, still no planes yet.Soon, though, we spotted one circling in for a landing. Grandma (in her postal uniform) pointed it out to Joshua, who ate like a champ. He had an entire PB&J, two bananas, granola bites, one hershey kiss, and a ton of animal crackers in addition to drinking lots of water. Good boy!You can see the airplane coming in the picture below. I put an arrow so you can see it in the distance. It wasn't that far off, if you consider its size compared to my car!Within seconds it landed. I didn't realize that we were within two feet (or less) of the actual runway, but Mom knew when she picked out the spot. I felt like the plane could have hit us, but none did!Mom and Joshua watched it land. He was so excited!So was she, as you can tell by this picture. It's so neat to see the world through a child's eyes!
Then we saw another plane take off within a few minutes. You can see it far back on the runway - we were so close to it! And they only take seconds to come in or go out. As we were packing up then, we saw another one land. Hooray! It was a great experience. A cheap delicious lunch, free entertainment and sweet company - you can't ask for more than that!
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on how you look at it), Caleb missed the entire thing and simply napped in the sun. When he's older, I'm sure he'll enjoy watching them too. After our eventful day, Joshua is now napping in his room, and I'm contemplating napping myself. I could clean, I could do school work, but a nap with my boys sounds the best. We'll see...

No comments: