Friday, September 2, 2011

A Pizza "Party"

Tuesday, August 30, was Grandpa Georgia's birthday. He had asked over the weekend if we could all get together for his birthday. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that all our schedules were the same. Jen had plans Monday night, I teach Tuesday & Thursday nights this semester, and Becky has church Wednesday nights, etc. No one was willing to bend to make it happen. So, Becky & Dad went to breakfast Tuesday morning, and Grandpa went to Jen's house for lunch where we joined them to play.

That morning was hectic, but I worked on his birthday present with the boys while also showering and trying to get ready for class that evening. We got Dad a small gift card to the Sharp Shopper, and then I created a poem with a picture next to it in a frame. These are all the many things he does with my boys while he watches them on occasion (from them racing around the circle of our house and him "changing their oil" by wiggling their ears or wiping their faces to the pillow fights that drive me crazy and all the many stories and everything in between. He always tells them he's going to take their toys and that he's "just picking" on them; he always asks if they are going to give him birthday cake since he didn't get any of the cake we made for Shawn; and he once told Joshua that he was going to give him a "hot lickin" - meaning a spank - but Joshua thought he was going to get licked and laughed and laughed. There are many other "inside jokes" but you get the idea). Dad seemed to get a kick out of it, which is what I had hoped for. Here it is:   

Happy Birthday, Grandpa Georgia!
 
Here’s some stories we’ve been told
About the three bears & Grandpa getting old
So, we decided to party with cake & bubbles
And our gift to you is a dog named ‘Trouble.’

That way you won’t “take all our toys!”
Instead we’ll run in circles & make lots of noise.
You can wipe our windows & change our oil
And tease about birthday cake that won’t spoil.

Maybe we’ll deserve one of your “hot lickins,”
Or maybe we’ll realize that you’re just pickin’!
We’ll toss mom’s couch pillows in the air,
And you’ll teach us about how life’s just not fair.

Thank you for realizing that kids are “just kids”
And not getting upset and blowing your lid.
It’s made us decide that when we get old, too,
We want to be a grandpa, just like you!

             Love, 
Joshua, Caleb & Ryan
Joshua wrote the card, which says "Happy birthday, Grandpa" with a heart and then his name. Caleb signed his name as well, and I added Ryan's and ours. Then we baked a spice cake (the only mix I happened to have in my pantry, but he seemed to like it!) and we went to Aunt Jen's to play and eat lunch. It seemed strange that it was all boys there! For the longest time all the grandchildren were girls. Now the girls are back to school so it was just Joshua, Daniel, Caleb, John and Ryan (in birth order) playing. They had a blast! And the pizza was good, of course. I was SO tired after a busy morning and afternoon, but I had to stay up at nap time to work on school stuff and prepare for class that night. We had a fun morning celebrating Grandpa's birthday, though.

As the boys napped that afternoon, I finished preparing for class; and Mamaw came to watch the kids to give me a head start on getting there on time (thanks, Mom!). Class went well, but I'm glad there are only two more left! I'm exhausted. And I dropped my breast pump and broke it. I don't know what we're going to do. It was a sad day. I'm so clumsy when I'm tired! UGH! I'm hoping maybe I can find a decent used one, but they still cost money we don't have. But, the baby has to eat, not to mention that I need to make sure that I can keep a dry shirt during school nights, etc. I am SO disappointed.

No comments: