Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Five-Year Well-Check

Joshua went to the pediatrician on Monday, September 19. His stats are:
Height: 3' 7.5" (63.38%)
Weight: 39 lbs 8 oz (41.79%)
Blood Pressure: 88/52

He had a hearing screening and passed with flying colors, which you can see by his sticker on his shirt. He also received four shots, which he wasn't thrilled about but sat very still and was very brave. Caleb had to go potty right as the nurse was coming in, so we rushed out quickly. When we got back in the room, she told me that Joshua wanted to wait for me to hold my hand while he was getting ouchy. He did well, though, with them.

This was the first time Joshua felt funny getting undressed for the doctor. I can tell he's growing older! I was wondering why he wasn't taking off his pants and shirt and then it dawned on me that he wasn't comfortable. Sorry, buddy! It's life.

The pediatrician told me that she would like to get him on a pocket peak flow meter where we'll be able to see how his breathing is doing and when he's tightening up. She said it would be important to now have an action plan for his asthma. I liked her proactive approach. I wasn't thrilled with her when we visited with Ryan, but I thought she did well with Joshua. She told me that he should be starting his pulmicort treatments twice daily now that it's officially fall, and that eventually we will remove the mask from his inhaler and he'll be able just to have the normal puffer. What a big boy!

No comments: