Monday, September 19, 2011

Baking a Birthday Cake

 Joshua told me that his favorite kind of cake is spice cake. That's Daddy's favorite, too, and Papaw's from Florida, if I'm remembering correctly. We had made one back in August for Grandpa Georgia (because it was what I had in my pantry) and Joshua remembered. He enjoys helping in the kitchen and he likes spice cake (whereas most cake he could take or leave). So, first thing Saturday morning, I dressed them in old clothes and we got to work. Here they are in their aprons and chef hats ready to "cook" together!
That night I told Joshua this was one of my favorite memories of the day. Both boys were happy and had a great time working together in the kitchen. This gave Daddy some time to get some things done that he needed to do as well.
First, I told them that we had two cake mixes (since we had 40 people who were supposed to come, I didn't think one would be enough), so we were going to take turns. I had purchased pumpkin cupcake wrappers and little flags so one cake mix would be for cupcakes for kids (or adults!) and the other would be the birthday cake. Joshua got to go first with dumping ingredients and mixing them up to make the cake. I love that in the picture below you can see the oil (or water?) coming out of the measuring cup into the bowl!
While Joshua was helping me, Caleb was to put 12 cupcake wrappers in the pan, which kept him busy.
I can tell Joshua is getting older as he didn't spill things as he was going to dump them. He was careful and methodical, and I didn't have to hold his hand as he poured them out.
After we were done with putting the first cake into the oven, the boys switched places. Joshua put wrappers in the other pan and Caleb helped me mix up the ingredients of the cupcakes.
We all finished by mixing them together since the boys like to mix. Then they each took a batter to lick.
When the cake and cupcakes cooled, I decorated them. They aren't professional or even good, but they were good enough. They tasted great, and Joshua said he LOVED making his own birthday cake and thinks we should do that "every time."
Yummm!!!

No comments: