Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy 60 months, Joshua!

I recently read Joshua the book that I read to him the first time when he was only days old in the NICU. It's called "I'll Love You Forever." In it, a little boy starts as a baby and gets bigger and bigger until he's a grown man and his mama gets older and older until she's about to pass on. I remembered reading it, thinking that some of those milestones were so far away - such as being two and getting into everything. But, as I read it this time, I realized that it goes almost as quickly as reading the book does. Once again I got teary as I sang him the song "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be!" He may be growing into quite the nice young man, but he'll always be my baby!
Joshua was so excited to turn the "Big Number 5!" We told him that being five comes with responsibility. He needed to work on buttoning and zipping things himself, and putting on his own socks and shoes. He's accomplished it. We told him that kids who are five try new foods to see if they like them - they don't have to clean their plate (after all, we don't want to teach him bad habits of overeating) but they do need to at least try a sample before dismissing things. He's actually taken several bites of new things like meatloaf and enjoyed them (at least the bite he's tried). We've given him other things to work on for being the "Big 5" and he's doing really well with them all. I think he enjoys the new challenges and responsibilities. He often tells me that he no longer needs a nap because he's five. But, I remind him that quiet time is still necessary and he often (nine out of ten days) still falls asleep while he's reading in his bedroom.
Within this past month, I can tell that Joshua has reached a new age and milestone. He just seems more responsible in general. He knows what's expected of him, and he often does things without being told or asked. He is generally really good about cleaning up after himself, he will smile at his baby brother to try and make him happy, he plays nicely with Caleb, and he's just a really good kid. It's sometimes difficult for me to put into words things that I'm seeing in his life, but I can just see a difference. I think he's currently going through a growth spurt, too. His 4T clothes don't fit anymore - even the pants are much too short. So, 5T (in a slim or with adjustable waist) are fitting well. This shows me how he's getting taller.
My boy used to hate getting his fingernails and toenails clipped, and he would cry and fuss just at the thought. Lately, though, if they're too long, he'll ask for them to be cut and hold very still. Things that used to be a huge deal aren't really that much of a problem anymore. I also trust Joshua not to get into things he shouldn't if I'm not looking. Most of all, I would say, I can tell a difference in our ability to reason with him. He'll ask why things are the way they are, and I can see that he is grasping more concepts. With reason comes much less drama because he understands the need for certain things to happen in certain ways.
The Bean seems to really be enjoying preschool this year. I like his teacher, too. That said, almost every day that I've picked him up, he's burst into tears on the way out the door or at home. I don't know if it's exhaustion or if something is happening there; but when I ask him, he says he's enjoying it. Please pray for wisdom for us as parents to figure out why he's so emotional after school! The one day he said it was because we forgot his beloved t-bear there. They were having teddy bear time during class for "T" week, and he forgot to grab his bear on the way out the door. I realize he really likes his bear, but I wouldn't think that would normally trigger such an emotional response so I fear something else is causing his sadness. But, when I ask him what he did in school, he'll tell me some of the activities with great delight and smiles. So, ???? I'm left guessing. This past week they put "taps" on the bottom of their shoes and danced, and he thought this was really fun!
Joshua's really been into dinosaurs lately, but he takes turns playing with all his toys. Just the other day, he told me that he wished he had more hands. I said, "ME TOO!" Then he told me he wished he had eight hands like an octopus - that way, he said, he could carry more of his things around. Haaaa!!! My little guy is still a hoarder of his toys and things.
The Bean has also enjoyed his puzzle books lately, doing stickers, tracing letters, and even looking through books. We're still working on sounding out words to read on his own, and at times he's done really well with it. He also can write most letters, but I'm noticing that when a letter has a curve like a lowercase "m" he's struggling to make the curve look nice and will often revert to an uppercase version. He also will write letters and words backwards at times, which I think is probably normal for his age.
Joshua is an amazing big brother. He is constantly singing to, talking to and smiling at Ryan. He also will help teach Caleb how to do things or include him in what he's doing. He LOVES his family! Joshua never wants to be alone (which reminds me of myself). So, he is really good about staying with us and asking us to be in his world and space. I love to cuddle my little guy. The other day when he was sad after preschool, I put the baby in his crib and simply held Joshua and rocked him in the rocking chair in the nursery for 20 minutes. It seemed to be enough to give him the boost he needed. I realize that as I'm juggling my time with all my kids, Joshua still needs to be loved up, too! I still cuddle with him at night as we sing our songs and say our prayers, but there are times when Daddy has to tuck the older kids in by himself if Ryan is eating at the time.
My boy is getting really good at playing the games on the Wii. He has found new games and taught himself how they work. It's really amazing to watch him learn and grow in new areas!
There is so much more I could say about my "BIG 5" year old, but I must run. Simply put, I think he's amazing and I don't take any credit - God has truly blessed us with a wonderful little boy. I think back to the start of his life, making his debut weighing less than a bag of sugar. He's had more surgeries in his life and been hospitalized more times than most adults I know during his five short years here on earth. That makes me think that he's destined for greatness here on earth for God's kingdom.
I love to hear Joshua sing and tell Bible stories. This morning in my Bible reading, I came across the following verse: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4. I thought AMEN!
These photos were all taken at JC Penny's this past Monday morning. I thought he did a great job! The one I ordered was below. Between my coupon and a small gift card to the mall I had left from my birthday, I spent a total of .48 cents. Not too bad!
In the pictures below, he's playing with his new dinosaur that he got for his birthday from Grandpa Georgia. He loves it!






I loved a lot of the pictures (like the one below), but in some of them, I noticed his missing teeth and it made me feel awful again about his fall. Oh, how my heart breaks when I think of it! How I wish I could take all the pain and suffering from my kids instead of them having to go through it. I praise God that they were baby teeth and that his adult ones will come in soon enough. Even still, most kids his age will have all their teeth for their pictures.
But, with trials comes character, right? So, I'm trying to be more concerned with the insides of our boys than their appearance. And, lucky for him, he's still a handsome little dude! At times I think he's still baby cute and other times I can see that he's growing into a handsome young man.
Happy "Big Number 5" my birthday boy! I love you, Joshua, and always will.





















No comments: