Friday, September 16, 2011

Going Nutty Over Birthday Treats

Joshua was asked to bring in snack for preschool on Thursday, September 15, for his birthday. I found a recipe in my family fun magazine that looked easy enough and went with a fall theme. The school specifically asks for no cupcakes or cakes of any kind (since they are messy) so I thought this was a good way to bring in chocolate. We had bought apple slices the day before, and I made this little sign to look like a leaf. It says "'A' is for Autumn, Apples, Acorns (nut-free, of course) and A Happy Birthday to J-o-s-h-u-A."
To make the acorns, you attach the bottom of a Hershey kiss to a mini vanilla wafer using chocolate icing, then attach a 1/4" piece of pretzel to the top of the wafer using more icing. Let set 20 minutes before serving. They were yummy! I made enough for three each for his classmates and teachers.
Since I had a tray of these to carry in, along with several bags of apple slices, Shawn agreed to go into work late to let me get the Bean and everything into the school without having to worry about the other boys (or having enough hands to hold them or theirs!). I was SO grateful because it ended up POURING! Shawn's car isn't doing so well, either, as the alternator is shot and there could be other problems with his engine. Right now it's making terrible noises and the garage warned him that he should get it fixed immediately. Ugh!
Joshua seemed to enjoy his acorn treats and said his friends liked them, too. For his special day, he also got to be line leader and they all sang happy birthday to him. She gave him a sticker, and there was a present and card in his pocket. The card itself had a special message that was super sweet about him listening during circle time and being a good kid.
Here's Joshua in action as I was dropping him off that morning. He was supposed to cut out an apple and then paint it. Mrs. Perez, the teacher's aide, is helping him here.
 His gift from his teacher was a Sudoku book with Veggie Tale stickers. I also had a nice email from her that evening that I thought I would share below. I'm highly impressed by his teacher so far, and I'm so glad that Joshua is enjoying preschool so far, too.
I forgot to tell you something after class.  Joshua was the leader and helper today.  We played a game called "Body Bingo" where I showed around 16 pictures of a cute bear pointing to a different body part in each picture.  Then the children placed a colored dot on the correct body part.  After the game, we were all removing our dots and I had the children line up to go down to the bathroom to wash hands for snack.  I told the children to walk down the hall to go to the bathroom and Joshua led the way. Mrs. Perez was at the end of the line and I was helping another child and wasn't with Joshua as he led the class.  When he got to the bathrooms, another class was just finishing in the bathrooms and lining up.  On his own, Joshua stopped and the whole group waited nicely until the other class left the area for their classroom.  I praised and thanked Joshua for stopping and waiting
until it was our turn.  I was very impressed that he knew exactly what to do without being told.  Joshua is a great boy.  Keep up the wonderful job of loving and caring for him.

No comments: