Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homework

Joshua has had homework every week in preschool. He gets an assignment on Thursday to complete by Monday. The first week, it was to write his name using one capital and all lowercase letters for the rest, and also to write upper and lowercase "M's" by first tracing the examples and then writing his own. Then he would circle the number of upper and lower case "m's" that he found in a box and write the number of each on a line. Lastly he would write his own "m" freehand in front of a word. All of this was to be completed holding the pencil the correct way. His teacher gave us a sheet on flipping the pencil up or having our child make an "okay" sign and then pinching the pencil between the two fingers while dropping the rest over it. I've noticed Joshua's grip has gotten better with practice.

The homework was a bit frustrating to him (and then me!) at first. He didn't want to do lowercase letters, and I realized that that "bump" of an "m" was harder for him to make so he just wanted to do straight lines. I'm also working with him on making his letters to scale using the lines that the teacher gives us - writing capitals to the top of the top line and starting lowercase at the top of the mid-line and going the entire way to the baseline but not below it. This is difficult work for a little boy who's been given the freedom to write free-hand in any size he wants to! But, he's getting better with practice. I've noticed he's definitely a lefty, but when he gets tired, he'll switch to his right hand for a letter or two and then immediately switch back because it feels awkward.

He told me that yesterday they tested him on his letters, and he got them all correct. He was so proud of his accomplishment! Way to go, my little buddy. :) You are doing great with preschool, and even more importantly to me, I see the character you're developing as you learn new tasks and are placed in new situations.

I guess homework is now a part of our routine. My baby is growing up!

No comments: