Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Call an ambulance!

Mamaw bought the boys these ambulances awhile ago on one of our shopping trips. Daddy put the batteries in them, and they make all sorts of noise as they race them around the house. The Thursday of Caleb Luke's 38-month birthday (September 8), we had had so much rain that preschool was canceled. Then I saw that Millersville was also canceled. It was PERFECT in my opinion. I had done nothing but run that entire week, and I was TIRED. I needed a day just to relax and play with my little guys. The Bean picked out his big brother J-O-S-H-U-A shirt, so I got Caleb's out as well. We stayed inside literally the entire day and listened to horror stories of other areas being hammered with rain. Manheim, Marietta, Harrisburg and other very close places got more than 10" of water. We got a ton of water, too. In fact, Daddy was detoured on his way to work because Route 23 was closed by the Sharp Shopper.
Everywhere seemed flooded. My sister's basement took on water. We - praise the Lord! - didn't see a drop in our house, except for what came in on Daddy's shoes when he came home from work. I heard that 222 was closed, the turnpike was shut down, parts of many major routes were simply rivers and impassable. I heard of entire bridges that were washed away by water, people whose cars were swept away unexpectedly, and friends' houses that were taking on water like the Titanic. The local news station took all shows off the air to broadcast evacuation orders for certain areas, shelter information, what roads were closed, and what the storm looked like. An entire road buckled/crumbled near Hershey Park. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it! The weather we've experienced lately has been pretty wild - from an earthquake to a hurricane to downpours that caused some serious flooding! I was only able to watch the news during nap time, but it looked pretty rough around us. I saw friends' pictures posted on facebook of the area in Bridgeport near the Conestoga by Weis Markets, so I had to share a few.
I am thankful that while many needed rescued, we were safe and didn't need any ambulances other than toys to play with. From my perspective, we had a REALLY great day. No running. No busyness. No rushing to get to class on time. No late nights. No time away from being with my family. Shawn came home safely from work a little early to avoid traffic pile-ups or worse flooding. We ate a nice dinner together that I made. We played together and just enjoyed time as a family. It was great! I feel bad for all the damage I've seen in various buildings locally, but I guess that's the price some folks have to pay for their typical lovely 'water-front view.' I wish them all the best in their clean-up efforts!



No comments: