Monday, May 3, 2010

Spring Fling

Wednesday was Spring Fling at Joshua's preschool. It felt like anything but Spring! It was freezing cold and terribly windy. I had volunteered to help with the activities, so Grandpa Georgia came over to stay with Caleb and I joined the Bean at preschool. I was partnered with a nice older gentleman at the Bean Bag Toss & Ring Toss station. Neither one of us knew what we were supposed to do, but we improvised well. Thankfully, they moved us inside the gym rather than outside in the cold - some of the other volunteers weren't so lucky!

Joshua's class was first, and we sort of figured out how to handle the little ones on the fly. They seemed to enjoy the Bean Bag Toss the best, and I had them line up on a line and stand behind a square to throw the bags. Joshua stayed with me and was sad that he had to leave and I was staying there when it was time to switch stations. But, I knew they had more fun in store for his class - from bubbles, to ice cream, to parachutes & playgrounds, to face painting & tattoos and more! He also packed his lunch that day and stayed late to make up for snow days.

Since the Bean was still at school and I needed to go out again anyway to pick him up, Dad agreed to stay with Caleb and feed him lunch so I could go and meet Shawn for lunch. We met at the Back Page in Leola and enjoyed the rare treat of eating just the two of us. I went back, picked up Caleb and then went to the preschool to get the Bean.

Later that afternoon, Nonie stopped in briefly to see the boys and brought them each a shark (thanks!). That night, Shawn & I took the boys to Joshua's favorite 'pizza restaurant' and then we checked out the new Berean Christian bookstore (formerly Provident). It was a good day, and much better than the day before.

Thursday was a lovely day outside, so I took the boys for a walk around the neighborhood. When we came home, we ran into our next door neighbor who was babysitting her granddaughter, who's Caleb's age. They stayed at our house playing for quite awhile before heading back over to their home. When they left, I began weeding with the boys' "help." They helped by not running out on the road or getting hurt. Joshua had a shovel, and he would scoop dirt up and toss it, sometimes landing on my head. Caleb had a rake that he would toss (not really getting the whole concept of what he was to do). We were all nice and muddy until we went in, but our weed bed once again resembled a flower bed instead.

Since I hadn't gotten up early enough to work out before the boys were up that morning, I did a plyometrics DVD that afternoon when the kids napped. That night when Shawn got home, I decided to mow again. It was so nice to be out in the sunshine, and it needed done. Shawn vacuumed and did the trash while I was out and the boys were happy playing on our back porch. Then he surprised me by sweeping and mopping - what a man! We finished cleaning the house that night, which felt like a good accomplishment, knowing the yard was on its way and the house was clean and the laundry was done. I realized in going to bed that night that I hadn't done a lot to play & interact with the boys, but they had been good and playing together all day and were helpful in allowing us to get work done.

No comments: