Monday, May 3, 2010

80s in the '10s

The weekend was GORGEOUS! Truly beautiful... temperatures were in the 80s and the sky was clear and sunny. This was our type of weather. Friday morning, my mom stopped in and told me that she parked at our house to see Grace & Faith run in their race for education. I had forgotten about it, but we decided to walk over to the school together to see the girls. My boys played with Daniel on the playground equipment as we cheered on the runners. I also took one lap with Grace (as parents and friends were allowed to, and my sister had John strapped to her back). Faith said she'd rather walk with friends. One time around was a third of a mile, so it wasn't a whole lot. But, I had already been up early that morning and had my workout done. It was a nice day out!

When we got back, Grandma gave me some time to go ahead and go tanning before she left. Then my friend Suz called and said she was on her way over. She had come to town the day before to stay for a long weekend since her son was getting baptized on Sunday. The boys & I played outside until she got there, and then we went in for lunch. I realized I needed to go grocery shopping, but I made french bread pizzas and french fries (I guess it was a french kind of day!) and we ate baby carrots (Joshua's favorite right now). Ian enjoyed the boys' old birdie mat, which Shawn had gotten out and put batteries in the night before, knowing they were coming. The kids enjoyed seeing Miss Suzy (as did I!) and I got to hold little baby Ian. :) :) :) After lunch and playing for a little while, the boys took a nap and we sat outside and chatted until she had to go. It was a nice afternoon. I wish she lived closer to get together more often!

Suz & Ian smile for a picture

When the boys woke up, we took a quick drive over to a girl's house from my MOPS group to drop off a meal since she had recently had a baby. Then we went home and got ready for our plans that evening. Daddy came shortly thereafter, and we headed to the Fiorentino's by the Airport to meet our friends Chris & Lisa and their daughter Isabella. While I love this outdoor restaurant - the food is good and the kids love the airplanes and helicopters - we had by far the worst service I've ever had in my life. Such is life, I guess!
Ian playing on our old birdie mat

The Grube family came back to our house afterward, and the guys enjoyed competing at Wii tennis while the kiddos played and us gals chatted. Later on, we all watched that week's Survivor together. It was a fun night. And even though Joshua got to bed after 10 pm, he was still up by 6 the next morning! That's my early bird for ya!













Joshua playing with the birdie mat at that age

Shawn & I started off the morning a bit slow, feeling really tired from the night before. Eventually we all got dressed and headed out for breakfast sandwiches & a caramel frappe from McDonald's (YUM!). We then went to a development yard sale where Joshua picked out a big Lightning McQueen 'Cars' car for 75 cents. I also bought him the movie 'Land Before Time' and a dress shirt. Daddy bought him 'Finding Nemo' stickers and a book on manners, too. We walked around for a little bit and I ran into the gal from the Friday morning play group at Calvary. She seems really nice.

We went back home, and I went for a run in the gorgeous HOT weather. Then I went tanning as Daddy fed the boys, played with them and got them to bed for their naps. When I got home, we both worked vigorously on yard work. He trimmed the bushes and I picked up all the stuff and put it in containers to take up to the compost facility in Manheim Township (we are blessed to have such a place so close to our house!). I drove there twice to empty everything while Shawn continued to work. It was a great day in the sun. I had read that morning in Ecclesiastes that for us to enjoy our work and be thankful for what we have (in my rough translation of what I read) is a gift from God. It's about our attitude in the small things, I think. So, I enjoyed yard work. It was work, but it was nice to be outside, improving our house, and enjoying time together.

When we were done, we both got ready for our hot date together. Miranda arrived shortly after the boys woke up from their naps, and Shawn & I headed out to Tobias Frog where we had amazing salads for dinner at their outdoor dining patio. Then we went to Park City and walked around, Shawn looking at the iPad and me redeeming a coupon I had. On the way home, we got ice cream cones for the boys and took them back and let them enjoy eating them on the deck. Then we continued to play in our backyard (both of us adults were beat!) before getting out the 'buzzer' (as Joshua calls it) & scissors to cut the Bean's overgrown hair. Both the bushes & our boys got haircuts on Saturday!

After their haircuts, I gave the boys a bath and we tucked them in. Then we went to bed earlier than normal, exhausted from our long yet productive day. We love 80-degree weather! Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, but I did charge the camera batteries!!!

No comments: