Friday, May 21, 2010

Happy 44-month birthday, Joshua!

Tuesday, May 18, Joshua turned 44-months old. He definitely is no longer in that toddler age but definitely more of a big kid stage. He even puts his shoes on by himself these days and can get undressed and dressed by himself. He doesn't always want to (he LOVES the attention of being helped), but he can do tasks like these that he didn't use to be able to do.
Right now, Joshua LOVES Toy Story, especially Buzz Light Year. This has lead to him using a 'laser' on everything, and at times it drives me crazy because even though it's technically a light, the idea behind it is shooting people, I think. But, Shawn said he's a boy and needs a new way to express frustration. The other day we left the house and it was raining outside, so Joshua whipped out the laser on his arm and tried to get the rain drops that were making his head wet. That one made me smile. He also says "to infinity and de-yond" all the time. (Caleb, on the other hand, has an affection for Woody, who he calls Boody).
Unfortunately, Joshua still tells us his belly aches pretty often and is still having difficulties with digestion. I'm anxiously awaiting our follow-up appointment and am considering calling sooner to get him seen again. Is this normal for a kid his age? Please pray for him!!!
Here is Joshua making his dinosaur face. In fact, he gave me the camera and said "get one of me acting like a dinosaur." Shortly thereafter, he asked for the camera and took lots of pictures of me, Caleb, his toys, the walls and many others of blurry nonsense. He's an artist!
Joshua has enjoyed playing with his Leapster2 from Grandma and especially likes the Toy Story game where he helps the toys by selecting only letters or numbers, etc. He also loves to play the Wii with Daddy, Caleb or his cousins. He's better at it than I give him credit for, I think. The Bean also LOVES to play outside, and now that the weather is getting nicer, we've been walking to the park more and more, where he goes down the slide. He also asks to walk on occasion and will run ahead but stop at landmarks I give him. I'll tell him to run to the red mailbox or the big tree or something else in the area and he will patiently wait for Caleb & I to join him. It amazes me how he listens at times. I can see growth in him in that area.
We've also been talking lately about forgiveness, and I think it's starting to sink in. The other day, Caleb did something (I can't even remember now), but afterward Caleb said "Sorry, Josh" and Joshua immediately said back "I forgive you, Caleb" and they kissed and hugged. It was a special moment for me as a mom, which I've witnessed many times since (maybe because I made such a big deal over it). I want them to know how to say sorry and forgive others. What an important life lesson!
On Joshua's 44-month birthday, we went to our last MOPS session of the year. Caleb cried when we dropped him off, but Joshua happily went to his room where they sang songs and decorated crafts. He had a great time, and I think Caleb did fine, too, since he was playing when I picked him up. Us mommas enjoyed socializing and eating an amazing breakfast prepared by the steering team members.
When we got home, we played for a little bit with Aunt Erica & Aunt Missy before they left to take Aunt Erica to the airport. Both boys were sad to see her go. Joshua told me that he was going to get a rope and lasso down the plane from the sky (where does he come up with this stuff?). We told him that Erica was going on Jeremy the airplane back to Florida to see Ma-maw and Pa-paw. Thinking about it, he then asked why he couldn't go along to see them, too. He didn't want her to go and him be left behind. As she started to cry, we all did. Caleb, in the meantime, was clinging to Missy, which he pronounces a little closer to Mimi. Both boys enjoy their aunts.
The boys are wearing shirts from Grandma in these pictures - aren't they cute? We ate homemade chicken corn noodle soup that night since it was raining out. I got it out of the freezer, where I had put the last batch I made. I must admit, it's better fresh rather than frozen. But, it still wasn't bad on that cold, rainy night. Happy 44-month birthday, my precious boy!

No comments: