Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Tribute to the Big Brother

Joshua has done amazingly well with this transition. He's never tried to touch Caleb, let alone hurt him in any way. He just points to him and says "Baby!" He is curious about Caleb eating, though. I think it started when I yelped out in pain as Caleb was latching (they say this, too, shall pass). Joshua came running and looked very confused by the whole situation. I explained that I was giving Caleb some lunch. Joshua said, "eat!" I said "yes, exactly." Then Joshua shook his head. He pointed and said, "drink!" I was amazed. I guess that is a little more accurate after all.
Joshua has been talking more in two-to-three word sentences. He's also repeating everything. Today Grandpa Georgia & Annette are here to play with Joshua, and everything Dad says Joshua repeats. It's really cute to listen to. Annette said in her very southern draw "uh uh uh" and Joshua repeated it. I cracked up! Joshua has been great to play with whoever we had lined up to take care of him from Grandma to Nonie to Grandpa Georgia, and tomorrow my sister Jen is taking him for the day (along with Grandpa Georgia). I pray that he's having a fun time, and I feel blessed that others have stepped in to give him the attention he needs while I can't be on the floor with him, can't be going up and down stairs, can't lift him, etc.
Joshua does seem a little disappointed with me bringing home the new baby. I can just tell. Last night he didn't want me to read him his story and opted to go to bed without it. But, this morning since he didn't remember Dad right away, he came into the nursery where I was feeding the baby and wouldn't leave my side at first. I'm hoping this is the end of the hard feelings. I love my little (now seeming so big!) Bean. It drives me crazy that he's so sad and seems to blame me for this overall change in his life. Someday I know they'll be friends, but right now I'm sure it's rough sharing the attention. My mom said she heard it likened to a husband bringing home another wife to share your clothes and make-up, etc. This brought tears to my eyes. While I know that's a little different, I'm sure that it does feel somewhat hurtful to Joshua to have this new little life here. Yet he still has this gentle spirit and is so good around the baby.
Joshua has also been getting up in the middle of the night again. Last night he caught me at the end of the feeding going back into our room, so I laid down the baby and then went and put him back to bed. He cried for awhile but finally fell asleep again. He was doing so well. But, I think he's wondering if we're still here in the middle of the night and comes over just to make sure. He's not throwing a fit, he just seems sad when we don't pick him up.
Overall, he's doing a great job given the circumstances. He doesn't understand why mommy cries (although truly, who really understands hormones???) and why this new baby has been getting attention. But, other than a few fits, he's doing better than I expected. What a great big brother!

1 comment:

Julie Garner said...

I was so impressed when I saw your posts! I had hoped for some updates (and pictures) but came here not really expecting it! You're amazing!

Joshua is (and will continue to be) an awesome brother! He will never remember his life without Caleb. Even though he seems sad now, the sadness will disappear as his brother learns to laugh and play with him...and as life regains a new sense of "normal."

Yes, the pain will pass. I promise! So will the tears. Schedules will resume, stitches will heal, and babies will grow and soon you'll forget all the pains and struggles of these first weeks. You're doing AMAZING! It is so clear, Val, how much you love your family. You are very blessed...and they are blessed to have you!

Love to you, Friend!
Julie