Sunday, July 6, 2008

Random Happenings

Grandma Kennel made it safely through her open heart surgery. Now she is working on recovery. She's pretty amazing for being 88 years old!With Great Grandma Kennel in the hospital, Grandma & Grandpa Ginder drove up from Florida and we've been blessed to be able to spend some quality time with them. Yesterday they took the Bean to the petting zoo, which gave Shawn & I some time to do some last minute shopping so we're prepared for this upcoming week.We also received our first Early Intervention tracking & screening questionnaire in the mail yesterday. I'm glad it came before the new baby so I can fill it out, mail it out, and not worry about losing it. I noticed a few questions that I had to answer "not yet" for, which will give me some things to work on with Joshua. Some of these included, can he jump with both feet in the air, does he eat with well with utensils and drink from a regular cup without spilling, will he draw a straight line to mimmick one you've drawn, etc.The questionnaire said to try each item out with your child when he is well fed, well rested and interested in playing. Some of the questions I decided to wait and try today, just to make sure my hunch is correct. The best question, though, was "will he mimmick you if you open and close your mouth, pat yourself on the cheek, blink your eyes, and pull at your ear lobes?" I've seen him try to do the doctor's fishy faces and mimmick some of our behaviors (which is how I taught him his ears go wiggle-wiggle, etc.) but to make sure, we're asking him to do some of these things. So, Shawn said, "Joshua, can you do this?" and he patted himself on the cheek. Joshua went right up to him and smacked his cheek, like "sure, Dad, if you want me to hit you, I can." I laughed and laughed and laughed. What a ham! And so innocent!I haven't taken many pictures in the last few days, so I borrowed these off the Ginder blog. I can't believe how big Joshua is getting to be by the day. Yesterday as we were counting, he said "six" after I said "five." I wasn't even planning on saying six because we were heading into the family room, where there were only five steps. Each day he does something that amazes me. And, each day I realize there's more to teach him...what a big world we live in!Yesterday I also found a lab that was open to get my bloodwork done since my doctor's office insisted it had to be done on Saturday, that Monday was much too late for my Tuesday surgery. So, we went in as a family, much to Shawn's displeasure. I got up early and was there before the doors opened, knowing the place was probably going to be packed with it being a holiday weekend, etc. I was right. Even getting there early, I had to wait in a long line. After sitting for an hour, the lab technicians told me that although I was within my 72-hours of surgery, I was cutting it too close. What?!?!?! They explained that the blood they were drawing was to be available to give me in case I would start bleeding during surgery. I was right at 72 hours, so if I would start bleeding an hour or two later, my blood would no longer be good. I told them I didn't really care, especially since my doctor's office was specific about getting the bloodwork done Saturday and me having to find an open lab. They said that I needed to come back Monday morning and that I was given bad information. Then they kept my paperwork and told me that I should be there when they opened (which is closer to 6 am on weekdays) to make sure that they had enough time to process it. Why would my doctor's office schedule c-sections on Tuesdays if the whole process is such a hassle? And, why would they say Monday is too late if the lab said Monday's when I should come? I was frustrated...and still sort of am. As long as I get to see my little guy no later than Tuesday, I guess I'll get over it.
I also had horrible dreams last night, including one where Joshua fell into the pool and we couldn't rescue him. I was so upset when I woke up, I probably had three tums to quiet my heartburn. I'm ready for these hormones (most likely the cause of the dreams) to settle down, too!!!

No comments: