Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Reflection 37: You Don't Have to Die to Lay Down Your Life for Your Wife.

Dying to Your Own Wants to Care for My Needs is the Noblest Thing You Can Do For Me.
I know you would die for me. If bullets were flying, you'd be my shield. If we were on a sinking ship, you'd give me your spot in the lifeboat. Even without those dramatic opportunities to show your love, you still lay down your life for me more often than you realize. You do it when you give up a Sunday afternoon ballgame on TV in favor of a family outing. You do it when we buy my dream car instead of yours. You do it when you give up that bonus you had plans for to pay a bill. All those decisions where you set aside your own preferences to make me happy make for a noble death that can't go unacknowledged. Thank you, dear husband.

'The most satisfying thing in life is to have been able to give a larger part of oneself to others.' ~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church - a love marked by giving, not getting. Ephesians 5:25 MSG

No comments: