Friday, June 8, 2007

Peekaboo Zoo and the Foot Book, Too!

Today was Hot, Hot, HOT!!! Thank God for the person who invented air conditioning. We went out to the pediatrician to get the referral we need for CHOP since Joshua's follow-up visit is Monday morning. I also heard from my sister that if she doesn't go into labor before Tuesday, the doctors are going to induce since she's having a large kiddo again (they can tell somewhat by how she's measuring, she says). So, I'll be watching at least one McGowan girl on Tuesday and overnight. Hopefully Joshua starts sleeping better again before then so we don't have multiple kids (and adults) awake. He had been doing super for awhile, but just started waking up again over night. Grrrr....
After his lunchtime bottle, I read two books to the Bean. (I also typically read a chapter from the Bible to him in the morning after his bottle before I get him dressed and ready to start playing the day away). I read in the "What to Expect the First Year" book that children at his age like simple pictures they can study, things they can feel, and sing-songy rhythms. I think the books I've been reading to him are a little more advanced than that, so I looked through what we had and found two books that I thought would work for today. (My hope is to find books that he can touch and feel when we are out and about since I don't have any of those, and he loves feeling different types of fabrics, etc.) The first book we read together was the "Foot Book" by Dr. Seuss. No wonder kids love his books - they definitely have rhythm and cool simple pictures! "Left foot, left foot, right foot, right...feet in the morning, feet at night..." After that book was done, Joshua was still interested so we read the Peekaboo Zoo: "Who's the tallest in the zoo? Here's a clue! Peekaboo!" and under the flap is a giraffe. The pages feel neat, and the flaps are sturdy enough that the Bean can pull them up as I proclaim "Peekaboo!"
I remember my mom reading to me when I was little. She did all the voices with excitement, really enunciated and spoke in a good pace and rhythm, and commented about the pictures on every page. That's probably why I read at such a young age. Thanks, mom! I hope Joshua enjoys reading, too, so that learning is easy for him!

No comments: