Friday, December 23, 2011

Stocking Stuffers

In past years, Grandpa Georgia used to send up huge stockings for us girls, stuffed with all sorts of "stuff." Some of it was handy stuff to have - scotch tape, q-tips, toothpicks, etc. And some of it was just plain funny - there was a small wooden square that said it was an exercise cube and all you needed to do was "walk around the block." Each Christmas season, Dad would mail a big box to Jen's house (who either had the most space or the most kids) and we would gather at her house to open the stockings. Typically, we would get there late - after she put Grace to bed (who may have been the only child born at the time) and us adults would drink egg nog and laugh at the silly things that we were given. It was always a good time.
On Friday December 9, the boys & I had went over to Jen's for lunch with Grandpa Georgia and I told him how I missed the getting together to look at the stocking stuff. It wasn't the gift that mattered, but it was the time of enjoying one another's company. Dad said that he'd buy pizza some night if I'd organize it. My sisters are difficult to get on the same schedule now that we're all busy (and stubborn!) so he didn't want to try to work it out. But, if I would be willing to see if our calendars would match, he'd buy dinner and we could all hang out. Jen said she was free on Friday, December 16. I emailed Becky, and it worked for her too!
In the spirit of stocking stuffers, I went out that day and bought Dad a lump of coal that said "You've been naughty!" and I told him he shouldn't tease my boys anymore about stealing all their toys or Santa won't bring him nice presents. He laughed (and I gave him the real gift from us). I also took along a "jingle bells" game that we saw at Joshua's preschool. There, Mrs. Zimmerman had a parachute with a whole bunch of jingle bells. You sing the song as you all jiggle the parachute and make the noise. At the end of the song, when you say "HEY" you toss the bells into the air. Then, you gather them back up and repeat. I wasn't sure that the older kids would enjoy it, but I knew my boys loved the game. Jen's kids did, too, especially her little guys.
Dad gave all the girls (including us adult girls) necklaces that light up and blink (you can see them on the girls below). He gave the boys little hand puppet pets (and then he gave our families money). Our boys have been playing with theirs at night, as they make them say silly things and they laugh and laugh. We all ate dinner together - pizza, salad, chips and pumpkin pie for dessert. Then, we went to the living room to play a game.
Becky brought all sorts of 'stuff' from the Dollar General store to play "Now you have it, now you don't." We drew numbers and picked from the wrapped presents. When your number was called, you got to choose any gift - one from the table or one from someone else. It was fun. I originally ended up with a 'magic wand' of some variety that one of the girls traded me her "make-your-own-ornaments" for. We were both happy at the switch! Caleb got a "secret spy decoder kit" that I think he's going to love. Joshua got a book of lifesavers, like we used to get each year from Santa when we were little. :) :) :) Us girls also did our pop-swap (or giving each other soda) like we did when we were little as well.

Aunt Becky had also made up some things to play charades, but it was already after 8 pm and I could tell Jen's kids were getting tired, as was my little Ryan Josiah. We made our exit since we had additional plans that evening. But, we had had fun. :)

No comments: