Saturday, December 31, 2011

The 12th (or 26th?) Day of Christmas

Shawn had off on Monday, December 26, for the actual holiday (since Christmas was on a Sunday this year). We enjoyed getting another day to spend home together as a family. Ryan had been up all night Christmas Eve due to a belly ache (no more garlic potatoes for Mama) so it was nice to just relax. It literally FLEW by! That afternoon after the boys' nap time, we headed north to Berks County to celebrate with Nonie & Poppy and Shawn's extended family on his Dad's side.

We had breakfast for dinner, including scrambled eggs, sausage gravy on biscuits, potatoes,  bacon, waffles, fruit and pastries. It was delicious as usual, even at supper time. After we were done eating, the boys exchanged gifts with our niece and nephews. The boys have highly enjoyed their water bottles that they got, along with the other things. They had fun playing together.

Eventually, we got to the point where I either needed to take Ryan upstairs to nurse him there or take him home. Since Shawn had work the next day, he said it was time to pack up and go home. This was our last Christmas gathering of 2011!
After we got the boys to bed, Shawn surprised me with a movie that I've been wanting to see for a long time. We had talked about seeing it in the theater, but we missed it before it left the regular theaters. It's called "COURAGEOUS" and I would highly recommend it.

In it (and I won't give away the story line), the message was that we get one shot at this life and at parenting our kids. It was SO good! It made me appreciate my courageous husband, who has been an active father and fantastic husband. I also asked him about his upbringing, and he said about how Doug was always very involved in their lives, which I am also thankful for since it gave him a good example. In the movie, a group of men took the following resolution, which I had to get to see again. As my friend said after she saw the movie, "I wanted to stand up and shout ME TOO! even though I'm a woman." She said she was in tears - so was I. If you haven't seen it, you truly must!

THE RESOLUTION

"I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.

I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.

I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.

I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.

I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.

I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.

I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.

I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.

I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.

I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.

I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.

I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. – Joshua 24:15"

It was a GREAT way to end our weekend together. I love my husband, and I am so thankful for him and proud of him for LIVING this - not just saying it. 

No comments: