Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dear Santa

This year, I thought both boys were probably old enough to write their own letters to Santa. But, I know that they get tired of writing quickly, so I decided that these festive little postcards would do the trick! I grabbed a couple different crayon colors and we sat down together at the table in our Christmas shirts.
I asked Joshua to sound out how you would spell Santa. S-A-N-T-A, and he and Caleb would both write the letters in order.
Caleb asked me for help writing his "S." Otherwise, he wrote the rest by himself.
Then I asked them once again what they would like for Christmas (but I've known for awhile). Joshua wants a "Francesco" from Cars2. Santa has one wrapped for him already, I know! He wrote "I want a Franc" and was out of space. "Oh no!" he cried. I said, "It's okay, Santa can still read it if you end your word on the next line. Next time we'll try to space out our letters a little better." He was okay with that, and ended the rest on the next line.
Then he signed his name at the bottom in a different color, and he modeled his letter to me. Don't you just love the "heart" I asked him to put before his name? :) :) :)
Caleb wrote "I want a helicopter" and signed his name, too. Santa has one wrapped for him as well!
I think you can read Caleb's writing fairly well, even for him only being three. His "N" is backward, and he always adds an extra line to his "W" like it's going to be an "M" but "Helicopter" and his name are very clear. I helped him add his heart. :)
Caleb modeled his card for me just like his big brother.
We addressed the back of the card. I asked Joshua where Santa lives, and he said the North Pole. So, we wrote that on the other side. I helped them make an @ on their cards. Both boys wrote their "P" backward. I remembered writing to Santa in first grade, asking him for a Popple bear (anyone remember those, that turned inside out?). All of my p's were backward, so I asked for a Qoqqle. :) :) :) Anyway, once again, I thought the writing was for both boys!
Joshua made sure I wrote a card to Santa for little Ryan, who's asking for a music cube this year. It's an adorable Mozart cube, which Santa still needs to wrap but otherwise is ready to go!
The next day, I took the boys outside to put the cards in the mailbox, and we put up the flag.

We ran into my next-door neighbor, who said how much she misses these ages. (Her kiddos are in college and high school now.) I'm enjoying each moment of having these little ones!

No comments: