Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Lights

Thursday night, we went to Red Robin as a family, using a gift card I had gotten. I'd been saving it for this special occasion, and I was excited to go out with the fam. Afterward, we agreed that it was a great night to drive around looking at Christmas lights. I always enjoyed this tradition when I was little. I now realize why it's so nice to do each year - it's free, it's relatively easy to manage since we're enjoying it from the warmth of our own vehicle, and the kids are in awe at all the colorful lights on the houses.
So, if you happen to be a person that puts out Christmas lights this time of year, I say "THANK YOU!" The kids love them. There are a couple houses near us that go all out - I can't even imagine their electric bill! We headed to them, seeing some others along the way.
One is on Longfellow Drive, a place I used to go to constantly since my best friend Suz lived on that street. This house even has a video playing of Santa going through his gifts in one of the windows. Caleb asked if Santa lived in this one. I thought that if Santa were real, he'd sure be impressed by this house's holiday spirit! Every inch of the house and yard is covered with various lights, and it's pretty well done. There's even a "kid's section" with Rudolph, etc.
As we left that house, we drove through another development. The kids were excited to see any and all lights that were on houses. We saw another one (I'm not sure where this is now) where an electric Santa was in the front yard waving. Then I suggested we see the house in Leola again that's a drive-through house.


There were some folks behind the house, and I wasn't sure if they lived there or if they were walking to see it, but Joshua asked if we were invited to their party. Haaa!!! We cracked up and said "We're just passing through, kiddo!"


That day, I had introduced the boys to the original version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." In previous years, Shawn thought the Grinch would scare the boys. But, I thought they would probably understand this year. Joshua said he loved the "GROUCH Christmas movie." Haaa!!! As my sister put on her facebook page, this is a great quote: "And he puzzled and puzzed 'til his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more." The boys also loved the Grinch song. What a fun movie!
After our Christmas light exploration, we went home and got the kiddos to bed. That's when I remembered that I had told Shawn we MUST stop for milk. We were already in PJs, and I said that we should run out and get milk while it's not me taking all three kids into the store for it. Shawn kept telling me to relax, and he promised that he'd go run and get it before work in the morning. Now, Shawn is always running late in the morning from spending time with our early-riser boys, so I knew that that was NEVER going to happen. I was insisting on getting milk that night when I looked at him again... what was up? His eyes were gleaming and his bottom lip was sticking out like when he's trying to get away with a lie that isn't working. I said "Okay, something's fishy here...tell me you don't have to work tomorrow!!!" He said and I quote "I don't have to work tomorrow." I was amazed! Why hadn't he told me earlier? I guess the floating holiday was used for that day or something; I have no idea. But, he had off Friday for Christmas Eve. And I was ecstatic! No wonder he didn't give a rip about milk!!!

We stayed up obnoxiously late then to celebrate (my first GIFT from my true love - more quality time together!!!). We watched the movie "The Help," which I would recommend. It was a great night and a fantastic kick-off to our celebrating Christmas!

No comments: