Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Sunny Saturday for Two

Friday night into Saturday, I woke up and couldn't sleep. Not completely atypical, particularly when I had drank caffeine with my dinner. But, I slept in later than Shawn then, which is rare since he's not a morning person. We were both up long before 9, and we got ready and headed to the fitness center called "Club Boca" to workout together. This is also a rare treat for us. We hopped on elliptical machines next to one another and got our cardio in for the day. Thereafter, we came back to enjoy our heavenly shower.

By this point, we decided to skip breakfast and just wait for lunch. We drove to see some different areas that Shawn wanted to check out. His company has a branch down here that we drove by, etc. Then we went to his 'french' restaurant "Hoot-aires" for lunch. He loves their curly fries, and I could have cared less. The waitress we got lived up the reputation - she didn't have an ounce of body fat on her, but she definitely had implants almost the size of her head. Not everyone who was waitressing there was so "blessed" but we got the one knockout waitress. I just laughed.

We drove all over looking around for the book "Unafraid" as part of the series by Francine Rivers that I wanted to read. After two Christian bookstores in different towns and looking up Barnes & Nobles who also didn't have it, we gave up for awhile and hit up a Super Target to grab things like bottled water for our room. I prayed we would find it, and then we looked up a Border's. I didn't see it at first, but Shawn spotted it. God had answered my prayer and it was like the heavens were smiling down on me. We almost danced a jig!
We drove over to the beach just to check it out. The houses there in Boca Raton look like mansions (an understatement) and probably cost well into the millions. We were in awe looking at them. Even their servant quarters were bigger than our house! Then we drove onward to Delray Beach, much more my style and my favorite area so far. We parked the car, got out and walked the coast, enjoying the feeling of the cool sand on our toes and the warm ocean water. It was a GORGEOUS day! Feeling very in love as we held hands, walked, and talked, I felt very blessed to be on this vacation with my husband. He took a lot of time to plan it, find good deals on hotels, get the airline credits necessary to safe us money on the flights, etc. He coordinated the timing with his parents and we were both enjoying just being together, focusing on being married as well as being parents.
Soon enough, all the iced tea I had had for lunch hit me. I prayed that God would send us a bathroom on the beach, even knowing that seemed like a silly (but necessary!) request. Shawn agreed to go back to the car and winced at the thought of trying to find somewhere. Just then I spotted the sign for public restrooms - we had parked right across the street from a public park and hadn't even seen it until that very moment. God is SO GOOD to us! He knew what we needed and fulfilled it immediately. I RAN across the street to very clean bathrooms, and there was a diet coke machine there that not only blessed us with more to drink but also quarters as change for parking. We smiled at God's many blessings.
We came back to the hotel eventually, deciding on what to do for the evening. Shawn told me that since he got to pick for lunch, it was my choice for dinner. Feeling like everything in this area was expensive, I chose Italian and said I'd even be happy with a chain restaurant like Olive Garden. He took me at my word and we headed there. Even though it was prime dinner time, we got right in and enjoyed our meal immensely.

When we got back, we called the boys to say goodnight again. We heard all about their fun day, and it sounded like they were having a blast. Again it makes you feel good as a parent to hear that they are happy, safe and enjoying themselves. Even though it's terribly hard to hear on two speaker phones (I now know what Shawn's parents go through when they call us!), what we did catch made us smile. They are good boys. And while I was missing them, I was glad to get some alone time with my hottie hubby. We were long overdue.

Later that evening, we headed down to the pool. It was a gorgeous night, but even though the pool was heated, it was a tad chilly with the sun having gone down already. The pool area was gorgeous with the little cabanas, so I sat wrapped in a towel to continue reading my new book on Mary (having finished my first one already) while Shawn enjoyed the HOT tub. When we got back, he asked if I'd be willing to check out the bar we had seen the night before behind our hotel, which had been bumpin'. I said okay. We never get to go out late and live like young adults anymore. So, I changed into a jean skirt and black t-shirt and we headed over to the Taco something-or-other. I ordered a chocolate-y drink while Shawn got a margarita that was on special. Then we people watched and laughed at all the new dress. I'd say over half the folks there were gay and proud of it. The other half were women in the most outrageous high heels I've ever seen. We'd guess how high they were and laugh at most of them being barely able to walk. Do I look that silly in my high heels? Probably! After we were finished with the one drink, we called it a night. We went back to the room in hopes of finding something good on TV, but we didn't. Instead, we ended up reading more before turning in. It had been a wonderful Saturday.

No comments: