Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Week of School

Joshua's first official day of preschool was Tuesday, September 7. He told me he'd rather stay home with me and Caleb than go to school. So, I prayed for him all morning long. And as much as I tried not to worry, I called Shawn in tears - what if he got lost in the shuffle? What if he didn't like it? Were we doing the right thing? He'll have to go to school the rest of his life. And I continued to pray for him. Here he is all ready to go!
When we went to pick him up that first day, he came racing out of the room. "Momma, I had so much fun!" was the first words out of his mouth. Then he told us that he missed us and loved us. Then he asked if we could meet Daddy for lunch since he was missing him, too. I said sure. And I praised God for answering my prayers. Joshua had a big sticker on his shirt when he came out saying "I did my best!" His original shirt says "I tried to be good, but I got bored."
The Bean told me that they talked about the letter A in preschool this week, and his teacher had airplanes. He also had a penny that morning that she gave them to put in their piggy banks. Other things he told me about was his snack and who brought it, and he said that they listened to a story (which he couldn't remember or didn't want to talk about), that they painted, etc. He seemed to like his first week.
Every day I'd ask him if he wanted to go, and his answer was always no. But, at the end of the day he seemed happy and would share with me what his day was like. Today they played outside and it was very windy, he shared. Yesterday, I stayed a little later to show his teacher and the aide how to work his inhaler, just in case they would ever need to.
Hopefully he has a good year, learns lots, and makes friends! My hope is that he will enjoy his time and also meet little friends that he will go to school with. I'd also like him to learn about Jesus and have fun.
Here he is outside the preschool doors! He always likes to run down the ramp, which Caleb is now following.
When Joshua arrives each morning, he finds his name and hangs up his back pack. Then he finds his name on the attendance tree and hangs up his star.
Here's Caleb Luke in Joshua's backpack when we're waiting to pick up the Bean from his first day!
And here are the boys at lunch with Daddy afterward. Joshua did a great job this week!
Caleb is also getting used to not having his brother around for a couple hours in the morning. He kept asking "where's Joshie?" We'll get back into the routine soon enough!

No comments: