Thursday, September 23, 2010

A 4-Bean Birthday

Saturday night, September 18, we continued to celebrate Joshua's birthday with him. With his pumpkin painting party was that morning, he was worn out by nap time and went straight to bed after we bathed both boys. When they woke up, we dressed them in fresh clothes and headed to Cactus Willies for dinner. We had a coupon, the Bean ended up eating free for his birthday (which we didn't even know until we got there), and the kids like buffet places where they can try a bunch of things and decide what they're in the mood for. Both kids did well at the restaurant and then afterward since it was still beautiful out, we went to Stoner Park for awhile to let them play. They both had fun! Later that night when we got home, we let Joshua start playing with his gifts.
I can see many changes in Joshua month-to-month, even week-to-week. For one, there were two days last week where he didn't nap. He's usually so tired, but he chose not to sleep during nap time. The following day he seemed tired, and he's been waking up later than usual. I think we're in a transition period. Only time will tell!
One of the gifts that Joshua got was some tracing books, which basically just show him how to trace curves, straight lines, sideways lines, and move the pen/marker in different motions. He LOVES them! They have been great in helping grasp the concept of writing letters (thanks, Mamaw!). Along with learning the sounds of the different letters, we're starting to work on putting small words together, and he understands now the concept of rhyming or words that sound the same.
Another thing that I've noticed is his sharp memory. So, we've started working on a few memory verses. I don't know why I didn't do this much sooner. He remembers prayers and things we say and do over and over, along with songs. Why not Scripture, which will be important - after all, the Bible says that if we hide God's Word in our heart, it helps us not sin against Him! His preschool has been working on the verse "How AWESOME is the Lord Most High!" The first day I said it, the Bean looked at me and said "Hey - that's Mrs. Dearborn's verse!" Haaa!!! He says it by himself, but he says "How AWESOME is the Lord Most Eye." We're working on the "high" part.
Joshua is doing better with soccer, too. Yesterday he kept right up with the other kids and did the drills as the coach instructed. They played like they were pirates getting the 'treasure' back to their respective areas, and he grabbed the ball that was in front of him and rolled it backward with his foot as instructed. He seemed to really grasp the concepts this week. He had a blast, too!
The other night as Joshua & I were walking together, he said to me "Momma, you're my friend. I will never leave you alone - I love you!" How cute is that? My heart swelled. I tell him things like this often, and it's so wild to me when they understand and can express their own love back. I highly enjoy that Joshua still likes to hold hands and snuggle and gives kisses at night before bed. He is a sweet & precious little boy! How quickly he is growing; yet, he will always be my baby. I love you, Joshua Douglas Good! Happy 4th birthday my little man!

No comments: