Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Crafty Kids

Monday, Daddy left to go to Kentucky for work. I always hate when he has to leave, but thankfully he doesn't have to go often. Tuesday and Wednesday the boys & I already had plans to fill our days, but Monday we didn't have anything going on. So, I decided we needed to have a fun day together! We started out with a craft after getting dressed and eating breakfast. This idea came from a learning calendar from Joshua's preschool. First we took a ziploc bag for each boy. Then as each boy held their bag, I filled them with five tablespoons of corn starch, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil and two drops each of blue and green food coloring. Then we closed up the bags.
The activity book said to squish the stuff inside and talk about the colors and how it felt, etc. I have to say that this craft ended up being a bit messy when both boys let go of their bags after the water and oil was in but just before the food coloring. UGH!
When they were finally closed (not sure how much liquid got out, but enough to make me have a clean-up ordeal!) the boys began to play and seemed to enjoy it. Caleb started banging on his. I wondered how long this would last.
Soon enough I got my answer. Only it wasn't Caleb's that broke - it was Joshua's. It leaked just a few drops onto the table cloth and they both went in the trash. That said, we did talk about how they felt and the colors and how cool they were. And both boys seemed to really enjoy the time we spent working on them.
After we were done, we went on a walk even though it hadn't warmed up yet. Joshua prayed that the sun would come out and the clouds immediately moved on and the sun started to shine. He was thrilled - God is so good! When we got home, we had a call from Daddy saying he was on his first layover. After we were done, the boys & I went to the grocery store for grapes, juice and a few other odds and ends. I have to give props to Stauffer's for their customer service. I usually go to Giant because of their proximity to our house, but this time since Giant by us is closed, I just went to the Stauffer's down the street and a little old man working there gave the boys lollipops. They were excited!
After we came home, we got lunch and the boys napped. When they woke up, we played soccer outside and tossed the balls around. It was gorgeous out! Then we walked to the playground behind our house so they could slide and have fun. When we got home, we ate dinner together. We read books and played in the office, took baths and went to bed. At bedtime, they both cried because they were missing Daddy. Joshua asked why Daddy wasn't home from the big airplane. I explained he was staying in Kentucky. This morning he asked me when Daddy was coming home from Chuck E. Cheese. Sounds a little like Kentucky! Haaa!!! We're all missing him, and we're thankful to have such a good Daddy (and hubby!). Thankfully, Monday was a good day.

No comments: