Thursday, May 31, 2012

SICK :(

On Sunday, May 27, Caleb came into our bedroom just around 3 am. He was ON FIRE! He told me his stomach really hurt, but I was so exhausted that I simply pulled him into bed with me and we continued to sleep. In the 5 o'clock hour, he started to gag which immediately brought me to alertness. I couldn't move since I was in the middle, so I asked Shawn to grab a bucket and quick! At the same time I was shoving Caleb out of our bed and into the bathroom. He didn't make it, but he also didn't hit our bed. Our carpet didn't fare too well, though. :( :( :( He continued to barf all day long, shaking and hot.

We had hoped to go to the beach or do something fun. Well, we didn't even make it to church. Shawn let me go by myself to a 'body flow' class that afternoon (which is stretching &; flexibility, similar to yoga) while the boys rested. Caleb didn't eat or drink much that day and slept most of it. I felt bad for him. He didn't really feel any better on Memorial Day Monday, unfortunately, but at least he stopped throwing up. He wouldn't eat anything, though.
He told me on Tuesday that his mouth hurt, and I thought that his voice sounded 'thick' so I asked him if it was his throat. But, I couldn't tell when I tried to look. When Joshua woke up on Wednesday saying that his throat was on fire, I called the pediatrician and scheduled back-to-back (or really one appointment that they charge us double the money for) appointments for my older boys. We saw Dr. Reilly at 11:40 on 5/30, and I like her. She asked some questions and then looked at their throats. Caleb, while he looks ungodly pale (even for him!) and glassy-eyed seemed to be feeling a little bit better (although, I have seen over the last couple days that it comes in waves where he would put himself to bed upon feeling awful). He had climbed up onto the window sill to look out the blinds when the doctor came in, reminding her of Curious George who was all over the walls in the doctor's office. :)
She said, while he seems to feel better than Joshua (who literally sprawled out on the examining table like he was dying and didn't move from the position the entire time) Caleb's throat looked just as bad. She swabbed them both and we waited only a couple minutes before she came back in to say they both tested positive for strep immediately. They both were given a prescription for antibiotics, but Joshua's is a different dosage than Caleb's. She also said to scrub down any and all toys (that will keep me busy for years!) and anything that goes in their mouths needs to be either disinfected or thrown away. So, we stuck their new toothbrushes in Listerine, which she said should kill the germs.
Caleb weighs 36 lbs (56.48%) and Joshua weighs 41 lbs (29.16%). I think Caleb is getting taller, and they both are fairly thin. Neither of them wanted anything to eat that day, but Caleb hadn't eaten in days. The minute we got home, Joshua vomited everywhere. But within a day or two, they were back to their normal selves. We gave them the antibiotics for the full 10 days, though.

Shawn said his throat was also sore, so I called and scheduled him an appointment to get seen at our doctor. His ears were infected again (or still?) so they didn't even swab his throat. Either way, he got a ZPack of antibiotics. We always snuggle and kiss our boys, so we typically can share all our illnesses. I want sickness to be gone! FOREVER! Praise the Lord, Ryan & I never got it. The pediatrician said that baby's tonsils aren't hugely developed at his age, so it's unusual for them to get strep. I'm glad that while three of the five us were sick, I was able to keep going and take care of everyone. Thank God for health! Please pray we all stay healthy.

No comments: