Friday, May 25, 2012

Play Before the Big K!

Toward the end of preschool, the mom of Jason (Caleb's closest friend from preschool) sent me an email and invited me to a play date with other moms she knew who had kids who would be entering kindergarten this year at Nitrauer. Her daughter Elizabeth is going into kindergarten, and we had seen each other at the open house just briefly. She told me that she was trying to organize a group where each child would have someone to play with - Jason & Caleb could play together, another mom was bringing a boy named Jackson who was starting kindergarten with Joshua, Elizabeth could play with two other little girl who was starting at kindergarten, and one of them had a younger brother Ryan's age.

She asked if I had a preference of where to meet, and I told her that we would love to come and it didn't matter to me where. She noted that it's always nice to meet some of the other school moms since we don't get to know one another there like you do when your kids are in preschool together. :)
She sent an email asking us to meet on 5/24 at noon at Lititz Springs Park. I went to the gym that morning, taking my nephews along since Grace had had her tonsils removed the day before. I figured that would give her some time with her mama. After dropping them off at home, we came back and I got a quick shower and hurried to get ready. As I was about to pack our lunches, I realized I hadn't asked if anyone was allergic to peanut butter. I realize that's a huge issue with the preschool, so I decided to skip it and get the kids lunch at McDonald's. I raced through the drive-through, only to find that there was a disabled vehicle on Lititz Pike that prevented me from getting there on time. I was almost a full half hour late, but I was only the third family to arrive out of five, so I guess it wasn't a big deal. The boys ate their lunch in the car on the way there since we were stopped for awhile. I had gotten a free starbucks drink on the way for my lunch and finished it there. Ryan waited until we got there to eat his lunch.


The kids had fun on the train and climbing around. My boys wanted to go in opposite directions, but I could see them both for the most part. Joshua climbed too high and I saw one of the mom's help him down. Caleb's "OH NO!" moment for me that day was when he asked to get in the sand (which I had said okay to) and then promptly threw it all up in the air and let it rain down on him and the other little one that was in with him at the time. I saw it too late, and he was covered literally from the top of his head to the bottom of his toes in sand. He had it in his eyes and ALL over his face. YUCK! He came out when I asked him to, but he was already disgusting. Needless to say, the boys all got baths when we got home.

As the other women arrived, we talked about where we went to church and things that were important to us, etc. I was glad that there would be other Christian kiddos going to school with the Bean. They all seemed very down-to-earth, and I was glad to have the opportunity to meet them. I'm not sure that we'll be hanging out again, but it's nice to know people and realize that there are good folks out there in class with your kids. Two of the families also had kids that were Caleb's age, so I'll probably see them in the halls this fall at preschool as well.
Eventually we took a walk up to the "lion" and got a picture of the group. Then we took the bread and crackers we had brought and fed the ducks. This was Caleb's favorite part. They loved to watch the ducks eat! I was the only mom (other than the woman organizing) to remember bread, so we gave it out to all the kids. It didn't last long, but it was fun. I was the first to say that we needed to head home. I knew Ryan would need his nap, and I had already pushed the time for him. We said farewell and the other moms agreed that it was about time to go. We discussed what sports we were planning on for the kids and the organizing mom told us all that we simply MUST get pool memberships to Skyline. That's not in our budget for this year, but maybe some year it will make financial sense.

It had been a fun time out, and I pray that Joshua makes good friends and good choices as he enters this next stage of life. Please pray for him that he'll do well in school and meet good people who will encourage him to be his best!

No comments: