Friday, May 18, 2012

Caleb's Last Day of Preschool

Caleb's last day of preschool was almost a full week later than Joshua's - maybe because he only went one day a week? So, that week he helped me bake a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. I must say that they turned out pretty fantastic! He loves to help bake in the kitchen. This time, Joshua didn't want to help and I didn't force the issue since we were making these for Caleb's teachers. I often struggle with knowing what gift to get people. I was even the room parent this year for Caleb's class, but knowing that not everyone was interested in doing a class Christmas gift, I didn't want to organize something that not everyone would be into doing. So, I suggested to the other parents that they include their child in a thank you - whether it was a gift, a note or simply giving a hug and saying thanks for a great year. Since Caleb loves to cook, I thought baking cookies together would be a nice thank you. I attached a card with a picture of him and his teacher along with him in this outfit (love him dressed a chef!) that said "Thanks for helping me to become a 'smart cookie.'"
I purposefully made a double batch so that we could also take some to our new neighbors that just moved into the house on the corner with the beautiful apple tree in the yard. I rang the doorbell that night, and much to my surprise Mrs. Hanna opened the door. She was Caleb's preschool aide from the first half of the year (Mrs. Hilton, Joshua's first ever preschool aide, had taken over for the second half just in the Wednesday class). So, we chatted for a bit and I met her family and then I left to come back home. It's great to know more very nice and obviously safe neighbors. :) :) :)
Caleb gave his gifts to his teachers, and he posed for a picture with them: Mrs. Siebert is on his right as you're looking at the picture and Mrs. Hilton is on the left.
Here's Caleb posing with his friend Ayla. She's the little girl who had a crush on him, calling him her "prince" as she was the princess. So cute! Her big brother was in Joshua's class, and since they live in Hempfield and her mom will be running Simeon to kindergarten, we won't see her next year.
Caleb's teacher invited parents to come for the last 'circle time' of the year. This is the only time parents had ever been invited into the classroom. Each year with Joshua I've been able to help or participate at least a time or two, but Mrs. Siebert operated her classroom differently. So, I didn't feel as strong a connection to her or to Caleb's class. She explained to parents that some toddlers have separation issues and it's easier to have parents leave immediately than for some to get upset and cause all the rest to cry, etc. I understand her point even though it would have been nice to be more involved with Caleb's first year of school.
I was extremely impressed, though, by all the finger plays and songs they sang. Caleb LOVED them (even though I didn't always hear about them while they were going on each month) and he seemed to know the words and motions. One was about a snowman losing his carrot nose, another was about a dinosaur growling, and there were several others (some pumpkins and bunnies - it's hard to remember). The kids enjoyed performing them for us. She also read one of their favorite books.
When she emailed that we were invited for the last half hour, I tried to find a babysitter for Joshua and Ryan. But, when I wasn't having much luck, I emailed the teacher and asked how she felt about siblings coming along to the popsicle party. She said that they were absolutely invited to come and she would have plenty for everyone, which I thought was really nice.
Joshua's friend Simeon was also coming that day, his mom informed me, so I didn't try to look further for a babysitter and just let him come along. Mrs. Siebert invited even the older kids to come sit up front with her, and the boys did well to join in on the ones they knew or just listen when they didn't.
 I loved this picture of the boys smiling in circle time!
 Then she handed out the popsicles, and the boys enjoyed them immensely. Joshua thought this part was super fun!
I got one last picture of the boys before leaving. Caleb had enjoyed preschool and is looking forward to going three days a week next year. I didn't cry over his last day, but then again I knew he was coming back. Way to go, Caleb, on completing your first year of school!!!

No comments: