Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Sunday, May 13, was Mother's Day. I felt bad that Shawn didn't have the whole weekend to himself to celebrate just him. He said it was the same growing up that he celebrated birthdays with his sister and Mother's Day, so it wasn't a big deal. He is the least selfish person I know. I told him not to get me anything since the boys had already given me their gifts they made me at preschool, but I still came downstairs on Sunday morning to find beautiful roses, a card signed by all three boys (even Ryan's scrawlings!) and a gift card to my favorite restaurant. He blamed it on the boys. :)
 
Sunday morning we went to church at Calvary and the boys each made me a craft. Caleb's was a "spoonful of kisses" (I don't remember the rhyme that was on the plastic spoon that held two Hershey kisses). The boys asked if they could eat the candy, so each of them ate one of the two kisses. ;-) Joshua made a flower pen that was cute. I thought the sermon was good, too, on how to turn a dysfunctional family into a better one, based on the story where Jesus was about to be crucified and yet the disciples were arguing about who was greatest and where the two brothers would sit (their mother asking to be on Jesus' right and left in His glory). While they were completely selfish in their fighting and asking to be in a position of honor while He was about to be tortured (dysfunction!), Jesus showed that to be great we must serve just as He showed by example. Then the pastor went on to say that mothers serve their families in this way. It was a good service, and I wore a dress I haven't fit into for awhile - my white one with roses. Shawn told me how nice I looked, which is not something I often hear (not that he isn't giving with compliments, I just think he often doesn't notice one way or the other).
Caleb came to give me a hug, and I snapped a picture of his sweet little face right as he was about to throw his arms around me. :) Love those little freckles and big blue eyes! I missed getting a picture of me, the other boys or Shawn. Anyway, late that afternoon for lunch/supper we went to Red Robin as a family. We picked a time that we were hoping would be an 'odd' hour so that we could get right in and out. The boys always eat well there, which is one reason I like it. We also had a coupon for a free burger for Shawn's birthday since we signed up for their club. :) :) :)
Here were some of the gifts the boys gave me. Caleb made this butterfly craft and signed his name to it. It says "I'm a little caterpillar, at home at work at play. You teach me what I need to know each and everyday. You've wrapped me in your loving arms cocooning me with love. You've helped me learn the things I know of our Father up above. And someday when I'm all grown, I'll step right through the door. You helped to make a butterfly - with love you watch me soar!"
 But the thing I loved most from him (that he made at preschool) was this trivet with his hand print, name and date.
I thought Joshua's gift from preschool was also dear. I LOVED it! Here is the cover. His teacher asked all students to have their moms come be in a photograph with them before this, which she had done before so I didn't even think about Mother's Day. Then the kids decorated the outside of these books.
The inside pages were so sweet. The first one says "I love you because...YOU ARE NICE" is what he wrote and drew a picture of me.
 The next one says "I like when you... LET ME DO THINGS."
 The next page says "You make me smile when...YOU PLAY PUZZLE BOOKS AND GAMES WITH ME."
The last page says "Here is a special picture for you." Joshua explained that I'm the tall skinny one. I'll take it! I love the book and have put it in a special place to keep as part of memories of him.
It seemed funny that the boys would celebrate me on this day when I feel so blessed to be called their mother. Truly, children are a gift and blessing from God. When I think of all the times I've screwed up (even in the last day, let alone the last week or month or year!) I sometimes wonder why God would entrust these three precious lives into our hands. But, I'm so glad He did! I love these little boys and want the best for them. The week leading up to Mother's Day, I read 2 John 1 as part of my Bible reading, and I loved that it starts with:

"...To the chosen lady and her children, whom I love in the truth—and not I only, but also all who know the truth— because of the truth, which lives in us and will be with us forever:Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love.
It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

There was a little devotional in there (since I'm reading through my Mother's Bible) on how this passage shows us how much God loves mothers and their children. I loved it, and I find no greater joy than when I hear my children repeat something they've learned from "the truth" and I realize that they know it. Whether it's a Bible verse or something in a story that they remember. It is my heart's desire that they grow to know God and obey His commands, walking in love. If I can help them on that journey, I am a most blessed mother!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms celebrating!

No comments: