Sunday, May 6, 2012

Stick-'em-up, Craft!

The first week in May I made a conscious effort to not doing anything around the house but just spend the time that I have with my boys. I didn't sweep and mop, I didn't do any laundry, I didn't do anything but try to think of fun things to do to love on my kiddos. I'd been feeling like between running back and forth to preschool and going to the gym and grading papers, etc, that I hadn't had enough play time and mama/son time. So, I started toward the end of the week trying to be more intentional with my time.

On Wednesday, May 2, I had my annual exam and took Ryan with me. He did well at the doctor's office, and I was glad they were quick! He was thoroughly enjoying his graham cracker there, and the other boys were at preschool. That evening I tried a class at the gym called "Body ATTACK" and let me tell you, it was high intensity/high impact and almost killed me. But, I felt like it had been a good workout when we left. Shawn asked if I wanted to keep going after my class (sometimes I'll run while he's finishing up after I've taken a class) but I told him that I didn't think I could take another step that night. I'm working my way there!
On Friday, May 4, I dug out the crafts that were in the boys' Easter baskets and decided to give them a try. As the boys were "helping" open their sticky squares, Caleb pulled the backing off both of them and smashed them together. It was a MESS to try to get apart. He felt bad, though, so we just worked diligently to try and fix it.
In the meantime, Joshua grasped the concept right away and started sticking his little self-adhesive pieces onto the plastic half-sphere.
 
I helped Caleb, but he would give me the gray pieces to make the stripes while I pulled the purple ones apart to put on.
Joshua worked carefully and methodically while Caleb stuck his anywhere he could find room - my boys are so different in how they attack things!
Joshua was upset at first that Caleb & I were "winning" but I told him that this wasn't a race - it was just fun to make something together. Then he had a blast finishing it.
My silly Bean, though, asked me that night if I forgot to do the laundry since the laundry chute was looking pretty full. For all my effort NOT to do things around the house, you can tell that he's used to me getting things accomplished. I laughed and laughed. They often do help me take things out of the dryer or carry up some clothes (which then requires re-folding, but I figure it gives them something to do to be helpers).
Soon enough our little creatures had all their stickies on them (at least all the ones we could fit) and then we created the faces with the eyes, ears, tails, etc.
 Here's Caleb and his cat! And Joshua got in the picture with his dog.
 These were the creations, which Joshua showed Mamaw & Daddy when he saw them later in the day and evening, respectively.
Later that afternoon, we went with Mamaw to Target to get some new toothbrushes (always a good idea after sickness) and we got ones that we can decorate with stickers. Fun! She also bought them a badminton set which we've been playing ever since. Good times!

No comments: