Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Holiday Week End Ends Weak


Shawn & I had talked about going away for Memorial Day weekend with the kids. We haven't really had many family vacations, and we had said about trying to find somewhere dirt cheap to just go within a close radius of our house to explore and have fun. Well, I'm just as glad we didn't since the kids got sick. But, the weekend started out fun.

Saturday morning, May 26, I woke up before the crack of dawn and could not get back to sleep. I thought about going for a run, but my Achilles heal has been really bothering me. I've read up on it, I've been icing it and taking pain medication, and I'm hoping it goes away but one suggestion was new running sneakers and another was to stay off it for a couple weeks. While I don't give myself that option, I thought maybe I could do other exercises rather than the pounding I have been giving it. Eventually I couldn't take it - I woke up Shawn when the boys were almost awake, and I suggested we do something crazy like early morning yard sales. It takes awhile for us to get the kids ready and get out anywhere, so it wasn't too early when we left, but we did hit a couple good yard sales. We got Ryan a few new toys that I scrubbed with bleach when we got home, and they look like they'll be fun.
I also got a piece of Tupperware for .25 that I was excited about. But, my real "find" was women's clothing from someone who had lost and gained weight and was getting rid of some of her clothing that were VERY high-end brand names. From White House/Black Market to Talbots to Micheal Kors and Ann Taylor, etc. I found a couple really cute things that fit me perfectly. I hate to spend a lot of money on things when I'm hoping to lose more weight, but these will be great for the in between. Prices ranged from .50 to 1.00 so I was thrilled. :) We also got an outdoor rug for our deck for $5 that is awesome! Even if it just lasts one summer, we'll have gotten our money's worth!
That afternoon, we set up the slip-n-slide that Aunt Becky had gotten Caleb for his birthday (unless it was Joshua? I can't remember - is that awful?). The water was COLD coming straight from the hose, but the boys didn't mind. Shawn is a slip-n-slide pro. He showed us all how it's done. I don't seem to slide - I can't get the hang of launching myself on my stomach without fearing that it's going to hurt, so I don't go very far. Joshua also couldn't get the hang of going on his stomach, but he was AWESOME at going on his knees and sliding on his feet and every other which way. Caleb tried a few times and ended up having more fun jumping through the sprinkler.
In the meantime, Ryan LOVED the water table. I should have gotten a picture of him. He was SOAKED! And I didn't put his swim trunks on because I didn't think he'd be sliding or getting that wet. 
The boys loved to slip 'n slide and eventually Shawn turned off the water and said it ran out so they wouldn't be terribly disappointed. But, we had more fun to come! We went to Walmart to grab a few things and then headed to Hoss' Steakhouse at Joshua's request (he loves that restaurant) and enjoyed the salad bar. All the kids ate well and we had a nice time as a family. We also had a coupon to use, which made it fairly inexpensive.
Thankfully Saturday was a day filled with fun because Sunday & Monday weren't so hot. It was a yard-work, clean the house, take clothes to Goodwill and clean out kind of end to our weekend in between snuggling and cleaning up after sick kiddos. :(  On the bright side, Shawn did fire up the grill on Sunday, and I love when he grills out. We also took the kids out for ice cream cones on Monday night to say we did something for Memorial Day that was "special" (although Caleb didn't even eat one bite of his). We ended our weekend together watching a great family movie with Matt Damon in it called "We Bought a Zoo!" It's one I would recommend, based on a true story. We all thought it was good. :)

No comments: