Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mono May Mean One...

...but it affected at least two people in our household. I didn't blog about last week because I don't really remember all that much of it. I was really, really sick. At first the doctor's office diagnosed me with strep, even though the short test for it came back negative. My glands were swollen, my tonsils were enlarged and pussy, and I had a high fever. Then Joshua got a high fever and both the short and long test for strep came back negative for him. I found it strange that even though I was on antibiotics, I didn't feel any better. In fact, I continued to feel worse and my fever continued on. After going back to the doctor's office and another negative strep test, the doctor diagnosed it as mono (which is viral vs. bacterial, thus why the antibiotics weren't helping me). MONO!?!?! I thought that was the 'kissing' disease that only 16-year-olds got!?!? But, after reading up on it, I'm pretty sure that's what I had. No wonder I had NO energy! Shawn stayed home with us two days and Grandma watched the boys one day. I made it through the rest of the week okay, and the doctor gave me steroids to help the inflammation in my throat since I couldn't swallow. They have contributed to a bit of insomnia, but otherwise have helped me feel a little more normal. I think we're on the up swing now - PRAISE GOD!

No comments: