Friday, August 13, 2010

Egg Head

On Tuesday around lunch time just after our friends had left, I was making the boys a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, which Caleb had requested. He began running the circle of our first floor as I was spreading, which is typical. But, I turned around at the wrong moment as he was coming in - he tripped over my foot and went sailing head-first into the trim in the doorway between our kitchen and formal living room. And he immediately screamed.

I picked him right up and there was literally a large bump that looked like an egg coming out of his forehead. I've never seen anything like it! I immediately called my mom and then the pediatrician to ask about concussions and whether or not he should be able to nap (since it was that time), etc. The egg was turning purple quickly. They patched me right through to a nurse because head injuries are considered an emergency, and she gave me lots of good advice. I was glad I had called. He was allowed to sleep, but I had to wake him every 20 minutes. If he didn't respond or if he vomited at all, I was to call 911 or go the emergency room. Also, the bump she told me would get smaller and smaller throughout the day and never get soft. She told me to keep an eye on it.

Joshua looked at Caleb and said "Mommy! Mommy! There's an egg on Caleb's forehead!" And he was horrified. I was, too.
I gave Caleb some tylenol and he did okay during his nap (annoyed, though, that I kept waking him). Later we went outside to swim and his bump had decreased significantly. You can barely see it in the pictures above, other than the slight purple tint to his head where it met the trim. It actually looks worse now with the bruise beginning to change to all sorts of different colors. Poor little guy!!!

No comments: