Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Happy 46-month birthday, Joshua!

We celebrated Joshua's 46-month birthday first at the mountains and then in a long car ride home, followed by unpacking, etc. In the morning on July 18, we sat around the campfire for the usual Sunday service. Then we loaded up our stuff and went to lunch with Mamaw, Papaw & Aunt Erica before heading back to Lancaster. Joshua sat very nicely and colored a beautiful picture, which the restaurant proudly displayed on the wall for him. I thought it was cute.

I would say one thing that Joshua has been doing more of this month is 'reading' on his own. He remembers the words to many books, and I was genuinely surprised one day when he read the "Eight Silly Monkeys" book word-for-word getting each different thing they did right (spin, slide, jump, eat, dance, etc). I don't even think I remember what each one is before we read the page, but he obviously remembers. He will also sit with a book and pretend to read, describing each thing he sees in the picture. It's adorable.

Joshua also enjoys looking at videos of himself. He watched a video of him singing "Sweet Caroline" that Aunt Erica took and then last night, Daddy started playing some older videos from when he was a baby and then when Caleb was a newborn and Joshua was still a little guy. It's amazing how much they look the same and yet so different. Joshua said "hey, that's baby ME!" and Caleb said "Hi, YOU!" to the screen. :) :) :)

Joshua loves to sing certain songs, and he loves the song about being "bananas for the Lord" that we learned while we were camping. We sang it several times last night. I noticed that he pauses often to re-wet his mouth before continuing to sing.

Shawn & I have also noticed a certain maturing in Joshua that's hard to describe. When he was smaller, I dreaded taking him places because I feared he couldn't sit still or worse that he would scream. Now, he's very good when we take him places, knows his boundaries and has far fewer meltdowns. He loves one-on-one time and when his love tank is filled, he shines. He also enjoys playing with his brother, even though they sometimes pick on each other. They are very close.

There is more I could write about, but these are the major things for this birthday, I guess. Happy 46-months my dear little Bean! I love you!

No comments: