Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Momma-Bean Bedtime Routine!

Every night that I tuck in Joshua, we read a book together in his big boy bed (he often picks one out, with favorites being "Kiss Goodnight" or "I'll Love You Forever" or "Sleepy Time Tales"). [We used to read it in the nursery on the rocking chair, then we moved to the rocker in the office, and now it's in his big boy bed!] Then, I turn off the light as he puts the book back in his drawer. He tells me to close the door as I tell him to lay down, and I tuck him in with his blankey and T-bear and he asks for more covers and tells me to "scoot scoot" as we get comfy laying next to each other in the dark. Then we say prayers, and he repeats after me "Dear God (dear God), THANK YOU (thank you) for today..." We ask for forgiveness, for help in being better (or obedient) the next day, and give thanks for our blessings including our various family members and friends, and we pray for health and financial well-being. Then, we both say "AMEN!" and begin to sing. Tonight he asked to start with Jesus loves me, and we always end with the "Joshua song" or "Momma song" which goes like this:

I'll Love You Forever
I'll Like You For Always
As Long As I'm Living,
My Baby You'll Be

I Love You,
Joshua, I Love You

There Is No Other
For I Love You Only
I'll Never Forsake You
Or Leave You Alone

I Love You,
Joshua, I Love You

And the Bean sings right along, in tune with me. He loves it, and so do I. I hope that he always knows how much he is loved! We snuggle for another minute while I give him the "two minute warning" that I'm going to leave. He often asks for water (which tonight, unfortunately, he spilled on his bed so we had to change his sheets), and then I tuck him in and give him kisses and tell him that I'll see him in the morning. Sometimes I tell him about our plans for the next day and then remind him he has to get a good night's rest. Finally, I tell him if he needs anything to yell for mommy and I'll come and help. He did that once this week when he was really coughing, and I did go over and lay down with him. Then we blow each other kisses as I close his door, leaving it cracked so I can peek in on him to listen to his breathing. And he usually sleeps all night long...

No comments: