Monday, March 23, 2009

It's a Privelege, Really

Shawn & I have discovered a few new TV shows that we like (while stopping to watch some others). For the most part, I don't really like TV because I think it numbs your brain, wastes time and stops you from "living" reality yourself. On the other hand, I do realize that television can be used for education and also there are times when a little mindless relaxation is nice. So, the two shows that we like can fit into both those categories. The new series "Kings" on NBC is a modern-day version of the story of David...even to the point that he slayed a "Goliath" tank in the first episode. It's interesting to watch as he's interested in the king's daughter (which was Biblically his first wife), etc. If you've missed this show, the episodes are on NBC.com, and you've only missed two so far.

The other show that we started watching occasionally is Man vs. Wild. After a speaker talked about it at church, we looked it up and saw it had rave reviews, so we've watched a few. This is supposed to be educational, but for me, it's an escape from reality that makes me appreciate my circumstances all the more. This guy has had to drink his own urine to stay alive, fight through some of the coldest temperatures I've ever heard of, scare off bears and alligators, survive some of the hottest temperatures I've ever heard of, etc. to show survival skills and try to teach the public at large. In all the 'scary' situations, Shawn & I giggle almost every episode where all the sudden the beauty of God's creation strikes Bear Grylls (the star) and he says with a genuine sounding voice, "It's really a privelge to be here, and right now there's no where else I'd want to be." We shudder at the "privelege" of his situation, and yet I think about what a great attitude he has.

That made me think of all the times I take for granted my current circumstances. When I'm worrying endlessly about money or concerned with getting too little sleep or feeling bored or trapped in the house with no escape ... how often do I sound like a whiner with no reason when I have a beautiful home and an amazing husband and food to eat and the joy and love of God in my life? I thought about those sweet little faces that God has entrusted to me, and last night I thought...I am truly priveleged. There is NO WHERE else I'd rather be than raising these boys in this season of my life. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments: