Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fit4Service

We've had another fun week. Sunday night we went to small group. Then Tuesday morning, I went to MOPS. Joshua went right into his classroom like a champ. Yeah, buddy! And, the little old ladies in the Ladybug nursery are dear. The speaker on Tuesday was a nice Christian guy who owns his own gym (yes, a man was in the room! ha!), and he talked about staying fit so we can serve others. He explained that when his wife had just had their baby, he was opening his own gym and wasn't sleeping a whole lot at night, started eating more food on the go, and didn't seem to have time to work out. Then, he said he noticed that he was emotionally drained and physically not doing well, and he began chatting with his friends about it. Eventually, he knew he needed to rest, eat well, and take time to make sure he was fit for his own good and the good of those he served. He noted that you can't serve others unless you are well enough to do so. He talked about overall well-being with PIES (physical, intellectual, emotional & spiritual) health. [Funny moment...we were all guessing what the letters stood for and a gal at my table thought it was "sexual" health for the 's.' Haaaa!] He then gave us a 15-minute workout that didn't require any video tapes or exercise equipment. We talked about interval training and how short resistance training workouts like this - even if you can only fit in 5-10 minutes a day - burn more calories and are better long-term than if you'd take an hour and do cardio only. So, we worked out that morning. [Another funny note, we were all on the floor doing hip extensions and a gal yelled out "I think this is how I got pregnant in the first place!" Haaaaa!!! I could no longer keep my form I was laughing so hard.] Anyway, we all loved it! And, I must admit that two days later and I'm still a little sore...ALL OVER! We worked our legs, arms and core and I feel each one of those muscles 'complaining' today still. :) :) :) He also gave tips for eating well over the holidays, noting that if you can kill it or pick it, it's probably okay to eat. He has a great blog at http://www.fit4service.ning.com/.
That night John & Angie and their two girls came over for dinner. We had a nice time visiting, and Joshua and their oldest daughter had fun playing together. Wednesday night, Don & Melanie invited us over to their house for dinner. Once again we had a great time fellowshipping. Joshua loves their little girl Abby, and we really like her parents. :) :) :) I wish I would remember my camera when we're going out...here's a few pics that Melanie took:Tonight I have class and then tomorrow it's gingerbread house creation time! Hooray!

No comments: