Saturday, December 27, 2008

Caleb's First Christmas; Joshua's Third

Our Christmas celebrating started Tuesday night. We all got dressed up and went out to dinner as a family to Infinito's Pizza Buffet (VERY kid-friendly) and then to the Christmas Eve service at LCBC. We got there early, got the kids to their classrooms, and headed into the sanctuary to find seats. The beginning show was amusing with Christmas trivia and scenes from popular Christmas movies. Unfortunately, though, once the service actually started we only made it through three worship songs before my pager went off. When I got back to the nursery, Caleb was literally screaming. I couldn't get him calmed down, which has never happened before. Normally when he sees me and I nurse him, he does fine. But, this time he didn't want to eat and wouldn't stop crying. So, when I didn't come back, Daddy came to see if everything was okay, and we decided to leave. Daddy took Caleb to the car while I grabbed the Bean, who was so thrilled to be at church that he did NOT want to leave before snack and craft time. Sorry, kiddo! I should have recognized Caleb's cry - the Christmas outfit didn't make it until we were back to our house. And, then he was pleasant the rest of the evening.Shawn had to work Christmas Eve, unfortunately, but Grandma came over for a little while in the morning and Shawn got off a little early. We used the rest of our Ruby Tuesday's gift card and a coupon for a free appetizer. The boys were both so well behaved at the restaurant! And, we got right in and right out. When we came home, we watched the National Lampoon's Griswold Family Christmas Vacation - my favorite! We also opened our stockings and hung out as a family. Shawn read to Joshua about the Christmas story from his Baby Bible. It was really a nice night. Christmas morning we woke up later than normal. Joshua woke us up, and not because he wanted gifts. He wanted FOOD! We groggily started our morning, and Grandma called not too long thereafter to say she was done at Jen's house and would come over for awhile to watch the boys open their gifts. I started breakfast, and in my tired stupor I forgot to grease the pan before putting the cinnamon rolls in, I put the icing on before I baked them (doh!), and nothing was going well. But, eventually we got to eat and it all tasted good. We also opened our gifts slowly throughout the day, allowing Joshua time to stop and play with things as he opened them.Joshua loved his new book from Grandma & Grandpa Ginder. Curious George was a real hit - I used to love him, too, and the man with the yellow hat! Here's Daddy reading it to the Bean. We also got some nice new clothes for the boys, a new pair of sneakers for Joshua that fit perfectly, two blankets made by Aunt Erica, a Bible action CD & DVD set (so cool!!!) and a fun fishing game. Mommy & Daddy also got a few new, very generous gifts. Thank you, Grandma & Grandpa Ginder!Caleb enjoyed opening his new little toy from Santa. Christmas Day he talked and talked and talked...or I should say "babbled." He said 'Wow-wow-wow' like we were doing, and he often says "hey-hey-hey" like I do to the boys. He's sooo adorable and easygoing!Joshua was a riot this year in opening gifts! I have never laughed so much before in my life. When he opened up his new handsome outfit from Miss Annette - Dad's girlfriend - he said "WOW! Jammies!" Ha ha ha ha! He also opened up his drumsticks and started drumming everything in site and dancing. After he opened his coloring book, Daddy handed him the next unwrapped presents. Joshua said "Wow! Colors!" I was impressed he knew he had gotten new crayons for Christmas when they were still wrapped. There was more funniness, but I can't remember it all now. We loved watching him!Here we are in our jammies with Joshua's new Elmo guitar that Santa gave him. He also opened his new little ball set, and I couldn't believe how heavy they were! He tried to throw them to Caleb to catch, who's a little too young yet. Daddy played the game instead. I love how Joshua is thrilled to have a brother. He now says "Caleb..." and talks his ear off. The two smile at each other constantly.

Caleb spent time in the bouncy seat when we ate breakfast, which Shawn said was one of his highlights of the day. Caleb was so tired! My youngest son also cracks me up in different ways. Joshua wasn't one that grabbed onto everything. In fact, it's one of the many things I appreciate about the Bean. He's curious, but he pretty much leaves things alone when he knows he's not allowed to touch them. For example, our Christmas tree wasn't really child-proofed because Joshua knew he wasn't allowed to touch it and left it alone. Caleb, on the other hand, seems far more curious at this age already. Notice in the above picture, he's grabbing Joshua's guitar. In the picture below, he fell asleep holding my centerpiece candle. He's also grabbed the salt & pepper shakers off the table already!Mom didn't stay long on Christmas morning - she stopped in to say hello and see the grandkids and then was off before we ate breakfast. I know this year was hard on her, and I think seeing the boys (and us and my sister's families) helped.
Joshua opened his horsey later in the day. I love his faces as the horse makes noises. It cracks me up! Caleb also got a jumparoo horsey, too!Daddy & I opened our gifts to each other, too, and I got a digital photo frame and a hot iron I wanted! I also got the Willow Tree Doll "Quietly" that has a momma & two boys. :) :) :) I was excited to give Shawn a few gadgets he asked for, socks from both boys, new clothing and a gift card to Barnes & Nobles with a promise to give him alone time to go relax and read. The best part of my Christmas was spending it with Shawn & the boys...I am very blessed!

No comments: