Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Well Baby

Today was Caleb's two-month well check-up. He weighs a whopping 12.5 pounds and is in the 75th percentile for weight and height. We don't have to wake him up in between feedings if he sleeps, which is super! He actually slept almost seven hours from the start of his last feeding to the start of his next one last night (now if I would have only gone to sleep when he did...). The doctor said he is the epitome of a healthy baby and called him "perfect" over and over again.

This time he also got four vaccines, and if I can at all help it, I'm going to try and make sure Joshua doesn't come the next time he gets shots. I had put Joshua back in the stroller with a toy and tried to distract him, but he watched as the nurse gave Caleb his shots. Caleb screamed, of course, (something I really haven't heard too much before) and Joshua cried. It wasn't his "I'm having a fit" cry but more one of pure sadness. He asked about the baby and pointed and big tears rolled down his cheeks. The nurse tried to explain that the shots are so Caleb doesn't get sick, but Joshua continued with the wet cheeks, not saying a word or making a noise. Finally the nurse gave him an animal cracker. Poor boys! Caleb went right to sleep after I held him, got him dressed and we went home.

Joshua also did a super job for the most part at the visit. While we were waiting, I was frantically trying to think of something to occupy his time since toys no longer capture his interest for long and there were tons of machines in our room with a note that said "Please don't let your child touch anything" (uggghhh!!!). So, I started singing, "If you're happy and you know it..." and I made up TONS of verses. "If you're happy and you know it...stomp your feet" (his absolute favorite), "touch your nose...nod your head...take a bow...rub your hair (where he said "shampoo!!!")...clap your hands...point your fingers...wave bye-bye...pat your back...pinch your cheeks...wiggle your ears...stick out your tongue...pull on your lip...tap your knees...sit down..." and on and on. But, to my pleasure, the game worked. Joshua loved the different verses and would over and over again ask to stomp his feet. You can tell we were waiting awhile because I did his "feet" in between each verse. But, he didn't have any sort of fit and did well until the doctor came in, when he wanted to be held, etc. But, he still was good overall. Whew!

I'm so thrilled that Caleb is considered a "well baby!" It's always impressive as a mom to hear your child is doing well and growing on schedule, etc. Hooray for Caleb!

1 comment:

Julie Garner said...

Awe! I miss you!

Have fun in FL. Let's try to catch up soon. I can't believe how fast time in flying!!!

Love ya!
Julie