Friday, September 12, 2008

Breaking Free

Yesterday morning, I attended a women's Bible study at LCBC that I actually really liked right off the bat. They're doing the 11-week Beth Moore study called "Breaking Free." While I've never done a Beth Moore study, from my past couple experiences at trying out other mom's groups, I wasn't sure what to expect and had almost lost hope. However, I just happened to walk in at the same exact time with two other gals who had girls Joshua's age (or God is the King of coincidences). One of them also had a four-year-old and the other was expecting her second. The 'organizers' weren't sure where to check-in children, so they told us to wait at the top of the stairs while they figured out a good system. I waited with them and they showed me where to take the kiddos. Since Joshua cried when I left him and I tried to console him, I lagged behind the other ladies. However, when I walked into the room, the one gal came over and invited me to sit at their table. There was well over 100 women in the room, so it was nice to connect with someone. Unfortunately, the two gals and their friends (who all seemed nice) were in a different group than mine, but I emailed the coordinator and asked to change that.

The funny thing is, there's another Valerie Good that goes to LCBC. So, their computer system has gone buck wild mixing our two records. I'm always asked if I'm married to Carl or Shawn, and the other day a women called and asked me who Jessica was. Then I remembered! Jessica Good was one of my nurses at Women's & Babies Hospital. She came in and told me that Valerie Good was her mom, so she'd take extra special care of me and laughed. I think Jessica was older than me, so I imagine this other Valerie is MUCH older than me. Thus, my group had a LOT of older women...not really what I was hoping for. But, the coordinator called me back and said no problem and once again asked me for my address, phone number, email and which people belonged in my household vs. the other Valerie Good. Ugh! I think this is about the fourth time I've gotten such a call.

People aside, the Bible study itself looks like it will be very interesting and powerful. Beth Moore gives homework almost daily where you dig into scripture and really look at the meaning of each and every verse. I did the first day yesterday, and I was impressed. God's word is so alive and so amazing! I'm anxious to "break free."

On Tuesday, I'm going to try the MOPS group there (Mothers of Preschoolers). The women I enjoyed meeting also attend that group, and they meet every other week. So, we'll see how that goes!

In the meantime, please pray for Joshua that he enjoys playing with other children and the workers. It seemed to me that there weren't enough workers for the sheer volume of children that were in the room. So, to have someone upset (or several children who were highly upset) would be rattling at best. Joshua seems to calm down when we leave, but I saw several moms get pulled out of the Bible study to come get their kiddos from his room. When I picked him up, he seemed utterly terrified. (Caleb, on the other hand, was sleeping in a baby swing and happy as a clam.) They announced that they're looking for more childcare workers and pay them for the two hours of the Bible study, but it didn't seem to be enough to me to make someone want to drive there. I realize, though, that it's a ministry that allows moms like me the chance to get out and get involved in a Bible study. Please pray for more workers and that Joshua would settle into a routine of going and actually look forward to playing with friends... and pray that Caleb continues to do well in the nursery, too.

Thank you, God, for providing this opportunity! Now, since it's the crack of dawn (actually, it's long before the crack of dawn...even the sun is still sleeping), I must start getting ready for our trip to Florida. Hooray!

No comments: